Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #469

>Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 11:22:22 -0700
>To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net
>From: Melody Weste <equest@voxworks.com>
>Subject: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #469
>
>You know, even I am getting tired of the debate and I have participated in
it - back in Reno at the AERC convention even.  However one note and I will
let it go.  I think the road runners and their allies (Kirsten Price for
one) had it right.

>As an LD rider I NEVER wanted to be confused with the endurance people.  I
was quite aware of the level of accomplishment a 25 or 30 represented.
But, like a 5K runner, it would have helped me to simply know my time and
placing so that I had criteria to use to track my improvement or lack
thereof.  All 5K runners can get their official time - it doesn't mean they
are demanding to be called marathoners or trying to turn their short race
into a demolition derby of any kind.  I eventually went from 5Ks to three
marathon completions, and simply knowing how I did really helped me do that
in a sensible way.

>All I would ask is that, perhaps, the LD times could be made available to
riders upon request to assist the learning process, same as 5K runners.

>By the way, I now have my first 50 under my belt, so I guess I qualify
technically as an endurance rider, but I by no means put myself in the same
category as the veterans.  Again, this is similar to running.  My marathon
PR is only 4:27 - yes, I qualify as a marathon runner, but I do not harbor
any illusion that I can class myself with the elite racers.

>A little more balance and perspective with a little less defensiveness and
emotion on both sides would do us all a world of good.

<Teddy@runningbear. ]
<karen@chaton.gardnervi ]
<kirsten@vermilion.re ]

> [...]
>>was bought for $400).
>>
>>Please don't judge all endurance riders by those few who seem to be
>>always asking for an easier way or something for nothing.  They are
>>IMO a distinct (if often vocal) minority.
>>
>>Come out and ride, and at the rides you will meet some of the finest
>>people on God's green earth.  And if I'm there when you achieve your
>>goals, I'll be applauding along with everyone else!
>>
>>>All this bantering about "newbies" and what classifies an endurance
>>>rider is making this "newbie" a little fearful of entering the sport.  I
>>>realize it's very competitive as are all equine performance sports.  But
>>>what originally turned me on to endurance was the perception that the
>>>competitors are basically "down-to-earth" people who don't necessarily
>>>have to be rich or belong to an elite group, unlike so many of the
>>>horsey set involved in showing.  I just love my horse and want to
>>>accomplish something I can be proud of with him as my partner.  That's
>>>my first goal, regardless of the distance.  It will be a HUGE
>>>accomplishment for us.  Then, who knows, maybe more and longer races
>>>will be in our future (at least I hope).  Am I way off base in my
>>>thinking here?
>>>
>>>Shannon
>>
>>--
>>
>>Joe Long
>>jlong@mti.net
>>Business Page  http://www.mti.net
>>Personal Page  http://www.rnbw.com
>>
>>------------------------------
>>
>>Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 23:46:10 EDT
>>From: Klc5355@aol.com
>>To: softride@cdsnet.net
>>Cc: Ridecamp@endurance.net
>>Subject: Re: Endurance???
>>
>>In a message dated 6/7/98 3:25:37 PM PST, softride@cdsnet.net writes:
>>
>><< do YOU want to tell them that riding even 1 mile is not endurance. >>
>>Dear Rebecca, I have to comment here as fanatics about anything are a danger
>>to themselves and those they attemp to protect. The term "Endurance" in this
>>case is irrellevant. The "Title" of this type of riding, 50 miles or more is
>>"Endurance" as defined by the rules of this organization. Anything 25
miles or
>>more is defined as limited distance, by the rules. You may call anything
else
>>anything you wish, and tell anyone they have done anything. If it makes them
>>feel better, or makes you feel better. But to get a completion in any of the
>>rides you have to complete the total of miles specified by  the rules. I
>>applaud the handicapped for even attempting any of this. But I dont believe
>>they would want to be given something they havent earned, I think most have
>>more intelligence and  pride than you give them credit for. And none of this
>>discussion has anything to do with the handicapped to start with. This
has to
>>do with the proffesional 25 milers that dont want to do 50 miles or more.
They
> [...]
>>From: Softrider Saddles <softride@cdsnet.net>
>>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>>Subject: Sorry  Folks
>>
>>All of this has gotten totaly out of control. I did not mean that people
>>should get something that they did not earn. What I was trying to get
>>across to people that is distance is distance no matter how far you go.
>>I was not aware of the rules aerc has layed down for the meaning of the
>>words endurance, limited or ctr or anything else. I just mean if you
>>ride a distance no matter how far you can and should be proud of that
>>act.
>>Everybody can mellow out because now I know the correct way of doing
>>endurance or limited or ctr or cross country or dressage or or or, and
>>the list can go on forever.
>>Miles is miles
>>Rebecca
>>
>>------------------------------
>>
>>Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:25:42 -0700
>>From: "Reynolds" <jakar@aiinc.com>
>>To: "DreamWeaver" <karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us>
>>Cc: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
>>Subject: Re: Endurance Riding!
>>
>>In the interest of reading variety, I'll add my .02 to Karen's
>>questionaire:
>>
>>	On my last ride, I learned my normally quiet gelding wasn't going to be at
>>the start, but I wish I'd let him move out a little more.  Holding him back
>>and negotiating traffic going uphill took more out of him than if I'd let
>>him move out at a decent pace and get out of the maddening crowd.
>>	I found I needed more physical training of my own and started a running
>>program.  Now I'm wondering if I need to bring the horse at all.  Hehe...
>>ride and tie here we come... with someone else's horse.  Is that taking the
>>easy way out or what?  Haha!!
>>	I've never tried the carbo loaders or the new electrolytes you mentioned
>>either.  Jakar is on the injured list yet with the wirecut he managed to
>>get a year ago today.  He's slowly coming around and might be okay for LD
>>or R&T later.
>>	Epsom salts, warm water, and rest are what I would do for that foot.  My
>>dad used that recipe on me for every booboo under the sun and all my
>>appendages are still here and functioning just fine at 40, thank
>>you:)))))))
>>Nikki
>>
>>------------------------------
>>
>>Date: Sun, 7 Jun 98 22:50:23 MST
>>From: kitten@resp-sci.arizona.edu (Bruce Saul)
>>To: ridecamp@endurance.net
>>Subject: Re: Polish Competitors
>>
>>> Most certainly have, and an awful lot of successful endurance horses
came out
>>> of the Draper breeding over the years...  Have noticed that the vast
majority
>>> of successful "Bask" horses come out of lines such as this or others
(such as
>>> *Serafix, as you mentioned)--most are at least half or more old Crabbet-
>>> Maynesboro-Kellogg (which includes old Babson, etc.) or else "Patton
Polish"