Re: Polish Competitors

> Most certainly have, and an awful lot of successful endurance horses came out
> of the Draper breeding over the years...  Have noticed that the vast majority
> of successful "Bask" horses come out of lines such as this or others (such as
> *Serafix, as you mentioned)--most are at least half or more old Crabbet-
> Maynesboro-Kellogg (which includes old Babson, etc.) or else "Patton Polish"
> (*Witez II, *Wierna, etc.).  I think all too often *Bask gets credit even when
> he is a very small portion of the pedigree, just because folks don't recognize
> the several other great progenitors in the pedigree that may have pulled his
> chestnuts out of the fire for him...  Also have found that some of the
> successful racing Polish lines seem to contribute more to successful endurance
> than does *Bask.  However, because *Bask sired so many horses and was such a
> fad, there are certainly some successful *Bask horses out there.  One just has
> to look at the percentages of certain lines within the breed as compared to
> the percentages of those lines among successful endurance horses, though, to
> get a feel for what does or doesn't do well..

	Well said.  This brings up another thing, I can't tell you how many
times I've been told that a horse is a pure Polish or a pure Spanish or
a pure whatever only to find out in looking at the pedigree that the
Polish lines go back to Raktha or Nabor or Eukaliptus and from there to
Skowronek and various Crabbet mares.  Or that the horse has one name from
the line mentioned and all the rest are CMK or Egyptian or whatever
with lots of lines going everywhere.
	With regard to *Bask I have told people to look at pedigrees with
his name in it, in every case if it is a good horse then there is a CMK
mare on the bottom side of the pedigree.