Re: Endurance??

Well... I'm not even a newbie.  Never done an endurance, LD or CTR in my
life (although I'd like to one of these days).  But, I have to say... I
don't really understand the fuss.  It seems quite simple to me:
Recognize people/horses for what they DO accomplish as opposed to
telling them what they have not accomplished.

I guess I'd pretty much feel pissed off or like manure if I finished my
first 25 (or even my 20th) and all someone had to say was "yeah, but
it's not an ENDURANCE ride". I have done some distance on my own two
legs (5 and 10k).... and I was always proud to finish and even prouder
when I improved upon myself. It would have been a bit of a slap to hear
"great, but it's not a MARATHON". Accomplishments of horses and riders
are no less important to individuals who participate in LDs than the
accomplishments of those who participate in long distance rides.  No one
ever compares either positively or negatively runners who excel in the
shorter distances (5k, 10k etc)...... why should there be any kind of
comparison between "endurance rides" and "limited distance rides".
Sure, folks use the LDs as a conditioning and educational tool in
preparation for longer distances, just as a marathoner doesn't start out
running 26 miles.  But, I don't see how that diminishes the
accomplishments of those who compete for their entire careers over
shorter distances.

A 10k competitor is not a "marathoner" any more than an LD rider is an
"endurance rider".  But each certainly has its place, its roll in the
sport in general.... to a degree, one is an extention of the other. "To
finish is to win" should be meaningful, important and a goal worth
pursuing for the individual regardless of the distance.  My first 5k
finish was a MAJOR accomplishment for me. My friends and family thought
so too.  I didn't get an award (nor did I expect one).... but I did get
a great T-shirt just for finishing.  That meant as much if not more; I
wear it with pride.  I see the same spirit of appreciation of individual
accomplishment in "distance riding".  Please don't lose that in pursuit
of defining what is and is not "endurance".

--
Kirsten Price
Vermilion Desert Ranch

http://www.eqwi.com/Ads/V/Vermillion/vermilion.htm