Endurance??

From: Liz and Basil The Nag
Email: cvsec@south-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk

Hi all,

All this discussion about achievement and accolades for all levels of rides has got me thinking that the system that BERA (British Endurance Riding Association) has is quite good. I am in the UK and regularly read RideCamp for hints and tips (subscribed to digest but why am I not allowed to write Steph? My messages bounce back so I am using the Guest thing here)...

According to BERA, a horse and rider cannot compete in Endurance Rides (ERs, 40 miles upwards with placings) before they are Gold Series.

To become a Gold Series rider (and for a horse to become Gold Series) the following series of Rides have to be completed (as of next year) and the horse must be 5yo :

1 BBQ (Bronze Buckle Qualifier) which is 20 miles ridden at 6.5 to 8mph (HR under 64 at the end of the ride as per Ridgeway in this and all the following rides). This ride is the first in the Bronze Series of rides and you can call yourself Bronze Series if you wish.

Once you have your qualifier (unless you are a junior and you will need to complete two of these) you can go onto the Final (BBF, Bronze Buckle Final which is 30 miles ridden at 7 to 8mph. Once you have this final under your belt you are known as Silver Series (as is the horse). Unless you are a junior and you must do two BBFs.

The Silver Series Rides are:

Two SSQs (Silver Stirrup Qualifiers) which are 40 miles to be ridden at a minimum of 7mph (halfway halt of 30 mins, vetting at 20 mins, HR same as for Bronze Series rides). Once you have got your two Silver Qualifiers you can go on to do a SSF (Silver Stirrup Final) which is 50 miles ridden at at least 7.5mph (halfway halt of 30 mins, vetting at 20mins).

When you have done this you and your horse are Gold Series and eligible for Gold Series Rides (such as Golden Horse Shoe Qualifiers or White Rose Qualifiers and the Golden Horse Shoe, The White Rose (100 mile rides) and so on) and ERs (40-100 miles OD or more multiday with placings , ie, with *winners*)....The horse has to be 7 before entering Gold Series Rides.

Once you are Gold Series you are Gold Series for life and can ride appropriately qualified horses in Gold Series Rides and ERs.

I quite like this system. There is a Bronze Buckle Cup and a Silver Stirrup Cup as well so that there is something for everyone.

Of course there are also lower level rides still which we call Pleasure Rides (20 miles and under, at a sensible speed - can't remember exactly what it is now...5-8mph?), run in conjunction with Qualifiers, Finals and ERs. These are non-competitive and don't qualify you for anything. The majority of 'distance' riders in the UK remain at pleasure level and are *the lifeblood* of the sport. Their participation means that Ride Management can afford to put on the bigger classes. They are also the Ride Photographers lifeblood. If a Pleasure Rider wishes he/she can join a *local* BERA group (as opposed to the national body) and go for the Pleasure Riders Trophy (most mileage in a year)....

So something for everyone, plus of course we have the EHPS, the CTR society, as well. Their Rides can be 'converted' into BERA equivalent rides based upon certain performance requirements such that an EHPS member and horse can qualify for Gold Series without doing BERA rides)...

I am Bronze Series, my Nag hasn't done the 30 BBF yet (hopefully later in the year) and I hope we manage OK to become Silver Series. In the UK people are generally recommended to first do a season at Pleasure level (to get the 'hang' of it all), then go onto the Bronze Series or CTR Rides in the next season. If your horse is 7 you can get to Gold Series in a year but generally people stay in Bronze Series in their second season and in their third season go for the Silver Rides to end up being Gold Series at the end of their third season. By this time the 5 yo will be 7 and ready to take part in Gold Series Rides. This system is designed for the good of the horse. Of course exceptional horses can progress more quickly.

Hope this was interesting to any of you?

You can go to the BERA web page if you want to see the qualifying system written out more sensibly than I have here http://www.british-endurance.org.uk

I hope this isn't one long line??

Cheers!

Liz and Basil The Nag