Re: bit to hackamore

I've found the mechanical hackamore the most effective, especially when you
must have brakes!  Just make sure you fit them on your horse's head when
looking for one.  Most I've encountered in the tack stores are muck too
bulky and jab the horses  face when you pull the reins back.  The best is
one with small mechanical parts that don't hit his or her face.  The
perfect one is hard to find.  good luck, Lori Sumrall

----------

Patti_Carey@IIMAK.CCMAIL.compuserve ]
<VervaetP@deruyter. ]
<VervaetP@deruyter. ]
<arabian@flash.net> ]
>   Re: digging to China                  [ Lauren Horn <fourhorn@fea.net>
]
>   Re: AERC completion time rule - feed  [ "Joe Long" <jlong@mti.net> ]
>   Re: AERC completion time rule - feed  [ "Joe Long" <jlong@mti.net> ]
>   Re: AERC completion time rule - feed  [ Ramey Peticolas-Stroud
<ramey@wvi.c ]

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:58:49 -0500
> From: Patti_Carey@IIMAK.CCMAIL.compuserve.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Flooded and Blizzarded!
>
>      Hello all!
>
>      I had to laugh out loud at the post from the Californian who said we
>      easterners must be getting sick of hearing about the rain in
southern
>      CA.  Not at all;  I've really enjoyed the posts about the rained-out
>      ride and the camaraderie that we're missing due to ol' man winter.
>
>      This leads me to a question, though:
>
>      Since my husband and I are new to all this (competing last year in
>      about 3 CTRs), we're doing our best to keep our horses semi-fit thru
>      the winter months.  We are in western New York, and tend to get lots
>      of lake effect snow (not so far this year -- thank you, El Nino,
from
>      those of us on the EAST coast!!), so we've got a few drops of borium
>      on the shoes, and are ready to rock and roll.  Unfortunately, our
work
>      has been inconsistent due to the weather.  What are the rest of you
>      doing to keep your horses fit (and you) during winter?
>
>      Should we pack up in the trailer and try to get some work in in an
>      indoor arena?
>
>      Off the topic, I've been reading all the formaldehyde posts.  Being
>      health and safety manager, I do feel qualified to say.  This is
nasty
>      #*&!*!!  (technical term).  Not only a carcinogen, but a very potent
>      eye irritant, as has been posted.  Do try to use something else, but
>      if you must, use impermeable gloves, and goggles if you can.  Safety
>      first, safety always.
>
>      One last question . . .   Being from western New York, we
participated
>      in one ECTRA clinic (in the Adirondacks), two AHAO rides (near
>      Cleveland), and one NATRC ride (near Cleveland,too -- hats off to
Pam
>      Pintchuk, if you're out there -- this was a great ride!).  We'd like
>      to stay within about 6 hours of home, but find our ride options
>      somewhat limited.  Are there any or organizations out there that we
>      are missing? Since we're just getting started and have fairly young
>      horses (6 and 7), we're more in it for the fun of it, the miles, and
>      having a pleasant time, do let us know if we're missing any rides in
>      our area which are known as "a good time."
>
>      Thanks to all for your help!
>
>      Patti Carey-Stedman and (Belgian/TB) Tess (looking like a cross
>      between a woolly mammoth and Snuffleluffagus from Sesame Street)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:21:45 -0500
> From: truman.prevatt@netsrq.com (Truman Prevatt)
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RE: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
>
> An unfortunate fact of like is that in the Southeast we sometimes have
> trouble with trail vandlas.  They can be quite creative.  Not only will
> they take ribbons, but they will use the ribbons to remark the trail for
> you leading riders way off course.  This can and will happen during a
ride,
> where it will only impact riders in the middle or back of the pack.
While
> ride management can do all they can to mitigate this problem, it cannot
be
> totally eliminated.  I really don't belive a tough luck - to hell with
you
> is the correct response in this situtation. While placement is probably
not
> called for, I believe milage - assuming the necessary milage was cover -
> is.
>
> Truman
>

> Truman Prevatt
> Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
> Little Stormy - getting ready for her first ride in six years
> The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
> Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot
>
> Sarasota, FL
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:23:32 -0700 (MST)
> From: "AJ's Classical Gas" <ajsgas@imt.net>
> To: "Dorothy Beebe" <dbeebe@plumas.ca.us>
> Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: 5 Speed Transmissions
>
> Dorothy,
>
> I asked my husband to explain this to me.  Here is the scoop.  He said
that
> particularly if you have an automatic even if it has an auxillary cooling
> system (doesn't matter what make), it's never a good idea to haul in
> overdrive.  The reason being, there is a torque convertor that slips
inside
> an automatic.  In the higher gears (overdrive) this convertor slips more
> causing friction and a heat build up within you transmission fluid.  As
the
> transmission fluid heats up, it begins to lose it's ability to lubricate.
As
> [...]
> From: CMKSAGEHIL <CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com>
> To: barfield@primenet.com, ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Prospects/Prices/etc
>
> I think Jerry Barfield said it better than any of us.  Thanks, Jerry.
>
> Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:24:22 -0500
> From: "The Vervaet's" <VervaetP@deruyter.k12.ny.us>
> To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: sunscreen for horses
>
> VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
> I have a horse with a white face/nose.  He gets sunburned in the summer.
> Should I use regular human sunscreen?  Is there a product designed for
> horses that anyone's tried?
> Paula
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:31:08 -0500
> From: "The Vervaet's" <VervaetP@deruyter.k12.ny.us>
> To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: bit to hackamore
>
> VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
> I want to try a hackamore on horses that have been previously ridden in
> bits (mild types). Any suggestions in change over?  Do I just "do it", or
> is there something that I should do in-between to help adjust them to it?

> What type would everyone recommend....mechanical hacks.....or other
types?
> Thanks
> Paula
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:50:55 EST
> From: SandyDSA <SandyDSA@aol.com>
> To: barfield@primenet.com
> Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Prospects/Prices/etc

> <<  The direction of the Arabian show world over the recent years would
not
> lead me to a "show" breeder for my next endurance prospect.  The high
croups
> and somewhat light loins that get pinned in halter classes are not what
get
> you to the other side of the mountain and back.  Not to mention the long
> cannon bones required for the height that sells in the show ring. >>
> AMEN to THIS - been there and seen it all!
> sandy
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:58:45 EST
> From: RUN4BEAR <RUN4BEAR@aol.com>
> To: barfield@primenet.com, ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Prospects/Prices/etc

> <<  The direction of the Arabian show world over the recent years would
not
> lead me to a "show" breeder for my next endurance prospect.  The high
croups
> and somewhat light loins that get pinned in halter classes are not what
get
> you to the other side of the mountain and back.  Not to mention the long
> cannon bones required for the height that sells in the show ring. >>
>
> Also, the "show breeders" no NOTHING when it comes to performance
> conformation...neither do the judges.  PLUS, many of these horses are
OVERFED
> and STEROIDED to increase early growth...too much too soon.  They are,
IMO,
> NOT a good prospect (unless you are lucky enought to get the NICE one
when he
> is 3 months old - even then, the MARE is often overfed to produce a
bigger
> foal - that is transmitted on to a foal that is asked to grow to soon too
fast
> BEFORE he is born).
>
> Teddy
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:58:47 EST
> From: RUN4BEAR <RUN4BEAR@aol.com>
> To: bobmorris@rmci.net, equine_athletes@hotmail.com,
ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
>
> In a message dated 98-01-13 04:04:42 EST, bobmorris@rmci.net writes:
>
> <<
>  Yes, Yes, something needs to change. Most particularly ATTITUDE!!  This
is
>  ENDURANCE RIDING not a Sunday picnic in the park. If you want to have
every
>  thing easy and sure then go ride on a merry-go-round (even then the
thing
>  may break down). Why can we not live with the thought endurance riding
was
>  not intended to be easy??? It once was "to finish is to win" Now it is
"if
>  I don't finish I will complain".
>
>  Guess being a Marine spoiled me.
>   >>

> Maybe it did, Bob.  BUT, consider the expertise of ride managers (some
> judgements regarding trail difficulty not made well, MANY courses not
measured
> well) and course designers (ditto) and good old mother nature....there
ARE
> instances when times cannot be met through NO fault or decision on the
part of
> the rider.  I still vote for total RIDING time, not just total time.
>
> Teddy
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:59:15 -0700
> From: "Robert J. Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net>
> To: "Steph Teeter" <step@fsr.com>, <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
>
> Steph & Ride Camp:
>
> Long before the Trilby/Les episodes (my apologies to you both, but this
is
> how it is recognized) I find in the 1980 Ride Managers Handbook (Jim
> Remillard was AERC Pres.) the following:
>
> A prescribed maximum time is usually set for completion of the ride.
> Typically this is 12 hours for 50 miles, and 24 hours for 100 miles
>
> This was an offshoot of the Tevis "100 miles in one day". My records do
not
> extend back beyond that as far as Ride Managers handbooks are concerned.
>
> I have always been in favor of the 12 hour rule and continue to do so.
(as
> you can see from my recent posts.)To me it is disconcerting to have
> persons,  with inadequately prepared horses and/ or not properly prepared
> themselves, who are not willing to be prepared to COMPETE, be given the
> same recognition as those persons making the effort.
>
> If at my age (and that also includes Arlene and many others of like
> longevity such as Bill Ansenberger, Julie Suhr and Bob Suhr and many
> others), if we ask no quarter, no special conditions, then let the
younger
> set, those wanting special  considerations show why they REALLY need
them.

> To finish is to win and winning is not a given in life
>
> Bob Morris
> Morris Endurance Enterprises
> Boise, ID
>
> ----------
> > From: Steph Teeter <step@fsr.com>
> > To: 'bobmorris@rmci.net'; ridecamp@endurance.net
> > Subject: RE: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
> > Date: Tuesday, January 13, 1998 11:23 AM
> >
> > Bob - I have a couple questions for you:
> >
> > As Joe Long pointed out, there was originally NO time limit
> > imposed by AERC. The rule came about because of individuals
> > trying to ride a billion miles in one season, and the only way
> > they could do it was if they walked the entire course. So they
> > did, and it kept ride managers up all night and drove everyone
> > crazy.
> >
> > So, were you in favor of the new time limit rule when it was
> > proposed? I assume you were competing at the time. And
> > if so, why was 12 hours the magic number? This is still a
> > pretty slow pace for a *real* endurance ride.... and when the
> > rule was originally put in place, did it address the question
> > of variation in hold times, or did that come about later?
> >
> > st

AN
> [...]
> > Boise, ID
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Linda Van Ceylon <equine_athletes@hotmail.com>
> > > To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> > > Subject: Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted
> > > Date: Monday, January 12, 1998 8:21 PM
> > >
> > > Hi Steph,
> > >
> > > I think Ramey's argument is sound.  We already have a rule to deal
with

> > > the overtime situation.  It sounds as though Bob would disagree, but,
> > > me, it seems clear.
> > >
> > > .  And, it seems in some cases, there is a great
> > > variation of the number of feet in a mile.  Here in our area, there
are

> > > 5,280 ft. per mile.  That is why a winning time for a flat 50 is over
4

> > > hours and a tougher 50 takes over 7 hour to win.  Granted, sometimes
> > > there are new courses or courses change and the mileages are
> > > miscalculated.  But, for the most part, we try to keep our mileage
> > > accurate.
> > >
> > > On a really tough course, with two vet holds, it is really easy to be

> > > pushing the 12 hour envelope.  The suggestions of other ride
managers,
> > > and many riders, seems to be "just make the course shorter, no one
will

> > > ever complain about a course that is too short".  Well, I just don't
> > > think this is right.
> > >
> > > In my mind, the best way to handle the situation would be to change
the

> > > rule to *exclude* the hold times and count the riding time only.
Then
> > > if you have a tough 50, with two holds, or the weather gets really
bad,

> > > etc...., you have more time to finish without an *exception* to the
> > > rule.
> > >
> > > We have particular problems with LD rides.  Because, when you include

> > > the hold times in the total 6 hours they get, this magnifies the
speed
> > > they are actually doing on the course compared to the longer
distances.

> > > Let's say you have 2 vc's in your 25-miler and your 50-miler.  At 1.5

> > > hours total hold time, the 50's must average 4.76 mph but, the 25's
> must
> > > average 5.55 mph. while they are on the trail.  The 25's have to "go
> > > like h..." to meet the cut-off.  This is not in keeping with my
> > > philosophy of the purpose of LD.
> > >
> > > I think something needs to change & I'm open to lots more discussion.
> > >
> > > Lindavan, Buhni, Sunny, Fiddler, Rabbit & Rain Maker
> > > Equine Athletes <equine_athletes@hotmail.com>
> > > 2921 Moore Lane, Fort Collins, CO  80526
> > > 970-226-1099

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:07:31 +0100
> From: Leonard.LIESENS@DG10.cec.be
> To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Orthoflex new pad system
>
> I gor finally my Orthoflex saddle. Wonderful. exactly what I was
expecting as color, but their new pad system...

> The one I rode during the Tevis had booties and the whole system was
looking perfect and did peerfectly work, I mean for Sukaro HCC, Steph's
arab gelding.

> But now they changed this and the saddle was delivered with a so_called
'numnah' which is made of 2 parts :
> - one is a white fleece shaped as a saddle with felt on one side and
something looking like wool (but it can be synthetic as well) on the other
side.
> - the other part is something looking like a regular dressage/jumping
saddle pas, but with a whole shaped as a saddle in the middle and velcro
attachments.

> No schema, no explanation or getting started to be found...
>
> I think that the white fleece goes on the horse with the whole part in
contact of the horse and the felt in contact with the panelling system.

> The pad with the whole seems to be there only as a finishing touch, maybe
to protect or hide the panelling system and presumely goes on top of the
first pad and around the saddle.

> Are other ridecamp buddies experimenting this new system and can you tell
me if I am right or not.

> Thanks for help
>
> Leonard, from Belgium
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:50:24 -0800 (PST)
> From: guest@endurance.net
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Osceola National Forest post; Osceola l00 results Post;
>
> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
> You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
> From: Jean Wonser
> Email: cpfjean@bellsouth.net
>
>  Please determine the problem as the two above news items do not appear
on the Archives other than their respective titles (January l2 and l3,
l998). As a browser  I'd like to read  the results. etc.