Flooded and Blizzarded!

     Hello all!

     I had to laugh out loud at the post from the Californian who said we
     easterners must be getting sick of hearing about the rain in southern
     CA.  Not at all;  I've really enjoyed the posts about the rained-out
     ride and the camaraderie that we're missing due to ol' man winter.

     This leads me to a question, though:

     Since my husband and I are new to all this (competing last year in
     about 3 CTRs), we're doing our best to keep our horses semi-fit thru
     the winter months.  We are in western New York, and tend to get lots
     of lake effect snow (not so far this year -- thank you, El Nino, from
     those of us on the EAST coast!!), so we've got a few drops of borium
     on the shoes, and are ready to rock and roll.  Unfortunately, our work
     has been inconsistent due to the weather.  What are the rest of you
     doing to keep your horses fit (and you) during winter?

     Should we pack up in the trailer and try to get some work in in an
     indoor arena?

     Off the topic, I've been reading all the formaldehyde posts.  Being a
     health and safety manager, I do feel qualified to say.  This is nasty
     #*&!*!!  (technical term).  Not only a carcinogen, but a very potent
     eye irritant, as has been posted.  Do try to use something else, but
     if you must, use impermeable gloves, and goggles if you can.  Safety
     first, safety always.

     One last question . . .   Being from western New York, we participated
     in one ECTRA clinic (in the Adirondacks), two AHAO rides (near
     Cleveland), and one NATRC ride (near Cleveland,too -- hats off to Pam
     Pintchuk, if you're out there -- this was a great ride!).  We'd like
     to stay within about 6 hours of home, but find our ride options
     somewhat limited.  Are there any or organizations out there that we
     are missing? Since we're just getting started and have fairly young
     horses (6 and 7), we're more in it for the fun of it, the miles, and
     having a pleasant time, do let us know if we're missing any rides in
     our area which are known as "a good time."

     Thanks to all for your help!

     Patti Carey-Stedman and (Belgian/TB) Tess (looking like a cross
     between a woolly mammoth and Snuffleluffagus from Sesame Street)