Re: bit to hackamore

VervaetP@deruyter.k12.ny.us wrote asking about hackamores.
Myself and those I ride with have just instantly switched our horses to
hackamores with no problems, even with those horses who'd never seen such a
gadget.  I definitely recommend the mechanical type if you need brakes.
It's much more effective.  You can put a fuzzy halter cover over it or make
one out of better material of your choice at home.	One tip:  Make sure you
fit the hackamore to your horse.  Most that I had tried from tack stores
jabbed the horse in the face when I pulled on the reins.  You know, as you
pull the reins, the "mechanical" lever closest to his face is sometimes
much too large, bulky, and creates a nuisance to the horse's face.  If you
have trouble, E-mail me and I'll look for a source from which you can get
one like mine.  It was hard to find, I must say.  Good luck.  I think
you'll enjoy it.  I know my horse loves it and is darn glad not to have a
bit put in his mouth when I tack him up.  Lori Sumrall