Re: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - Karen

At 01:18 PM 5/24/2004, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Additionally, horses who EAT well the 48 hours previously and go into the
ride with a good gut fill have a TREMENDOUS water reserve in the hindgut.
As they pull the water out of that to make it into "road apples" they are
kicking SEVERAL more gallons into their circulation--hence they HAVE a
water source during those early miles.

....how else can you explain horses doing the things that they do ....how many rides have there been where the horses did have to go an extremely long way to their first water -- due to various reasons (I remember one year at 20 MT somebody had shot holes in the water trough, it was emtpy). Other times I've come upon empty troughs, either the RM didn't put out enough water (or in some cases, any), and have even had times when cattle had come and drained the troughs. It is definitely a plus to have a horse that has the ability to recover well from a deficit; or basically doesn't really get one in the first place because they started in good enough condition.

IMO, the best way to teach a horse to be a really good drinker is to make them really thirsty. Ride them a long way in extreme conditions without water. If my horses had only ever gone to rides with water every 5 miles they probably wouldn't be so good at taking care of themselves. Now it does get kind of annoying with Chief when he insists on drinking out of every single water trough there is when we go to a ride with a lot of water. He knows I may be taking him for several hours further until there is another one (because I have). Going a long way between water isn't that big of a deal, you just have to ride accordingly for the conditions.

I have never had a problem getting a horse to drink. I did have trouble getting Rocky to eat when he was younger, he finally learned when he did his first 2-days of 50's. He got really hungry on the second day and was trying to sample everything, even the cholla. Which of course, he learned right quick wasn't edible (his nickname that day was Pin Cushion Rocky). After that, he finally got with the program and became a good eater. Sometimes they literally have to learn things the hard way.

Karen
in NV

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano