[RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - Susan Young

Topper has all the characteristics others have spoken of.  He takes good care of himself and has come to take good care of me.  We'll try our first 100 this weekend so wish us luck!

I wanted to relay a story to you.  Topper and I rode 3 1/2 hours Sat PM...most of it in the pitch black of a moonless night.  He had been over this particular trail twice before (back in Feb) going the opposite direction.  We walked this section because I didn't want to get wacked in the face (wooded trail) with branches.  I couldn't see a thing...could barely see his grey ears.  Several times we came upon fallen trees...at least I was HOPING they were fallen trees instead of missing the trail.  He was spot on every time.  There was one section of really tretious footing...slick rocks in a downward stair movement.  He stopped, took a look, I got balanced, and he proceeded carefully.  What a great horse!

Ok...I'm hoping everything goes as smoothly Saturday!  I was recalling what someone said here that a horse can move as fast in the dark as he can in the light.  I let him trot so I could build up confidence and see what it was like (remind me again...it's been 12 years since my last 100).  Is it just me or does a trot feel faster in the dark?  I started counting his cadence and realized he wasn't trotting THAT fast...it just felt faster since I couldn't see.

On another note, I chewed a piece of gum the entire time I rode (and spooked him when I spit it out!).  My jaws were SO sore...still are two days later!!  Good thing gum chewing isn't part of a vet check!

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)