Re: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - heidi

To some extent this may be true, but it is a matter of degree. All you
have to do is do in numbers to see the degree they will start out too
far behind if they don't drink early. According to:

http://www.equiworld.net/uk/horsecare/veterinary/erc/whysweatit.htm

an exercising horse loses water from sweat at a rate uwpards to 10 to 15
 l/hr.

At a sweat rate of 10 to 15 liters per hour and a gram/ml, 10 to 15
liters of water goes at 10 to 15 kilograms (or 22 to 33 pounds) per hour
 weight loss.  If we take 20 miles ( the threshold I set in my original
post ) - depending on the conditions, that could add up to 30 to 45
liters (30 to 45 kilograms) of sweat or a 7.5% to 11.25% weight loss
from dehydration in a 400 kg horse. From my recollection of most of the
studies that have been done most horses - even those that finish well
are a little dehydrated. That indicates that they can't make it all up
on a 100 mile ride. And I would sure rather not have my horse to have to
 make up a deficit that was on the verge of clinical dehydration.

First off, I do agree that I PREFER to have a horse drink early.  That
said, many horses can take in as much as 5 gallons in one drink (although
the norm is more apt to be 2 or 3).  To convert your figures to pounds,
multiply by 2.2--the horse may lose as much as 66 to 90+ lbs of water.
First off, even many horses that DON'T drink well in the beginning don't
lose anywhere NEAR this much weight--which indicates that the numbers are
likely on the high side.  Secondly, water is 8 lbs per gallon--so a
2-gallon drink is 16 lbs, a 3-gallon drink is 24 lbs, and a 5-gallon drink
is 40 lbs.  In my experience, the horses that don't start drinking quite
as early as one might like but that ARE good drinkers will often REALLY
tank up when they first start drinking.  So if they take in even 30-40 lbs
of water at that point, and then take repeated drinks of 16-24 lbs every
5-6 miles (which is about the frequency of water sets here) it isn't
difficult to see that they can indeed rebound fairly quickly.

Additionally, horses who EAT well the 48 hours previously and go into the
ride with a good gut fill have a TREMENDOUS water reserve in the hindgut.
As they pull the water out of that to make it into "road apples" they are
kicking SEVERAL more gallons into their circulation--hence they HAVE a
water source during those early miles.

Just some food for thought.

Heidi

There is something so magical about being out at night after being on the
trail all day on a long 100 with miles left to go.
~  Tom Noll