Re: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - Truman Prevatt

DreamWeaver wrote:

 You might get away with that in a 50 -
but what is taken out early can't be put back in later in the ride.

Actually, that is what a good endurance horse does.  They usually lose most of what they are going to lose in the first part of the ride, then they put it back and often recover by the time the ride is over.  I've seen numerous smart riders do this.  My horses have all done it (but they are smarter than I am) :^)
To some extent this may be true, but it is a matter of degree. All you have to do is do in numbers to see the degree they will start out too far behind if they don't drink early. According to:

http://www.equiworld.net/uk/horsecare/veterinary/erc/whysweatit.htm

an exercising horse loses water from sweat at a rate uwpards to 10 to 15 l/hr.

At a sweat rate of 10 to 15 liters per hour and a gram/ml, 10 to 15 liters of water goes at 10 to 15 kilograms (or 22 to 33 pounds) per hour weight loss.  If we take 20 miles ( the threshold I set in my original post ) - depending on the conditions, that could add up to 30 to 45 liters (30 to 45 kilograms) of sweat or a 7.5% to 11.25% weight loss from dehydration in a 400 kg horse. From my recollection of most of the studies that have been done most horses - even those that finish well are a little dehydrated. That indicates that they can't make it all up on a 100 mile ride. And I would sure rather not have my horse to have to make up a deficit that was on the verge of clinical dehydration.

Drinking early is a "skill" - one that is a beneift to the horse in the sport. I believe it is a skill that can be developed in most cases. After it is trained it might even become "reflex."  I know when I woke up to the fact that I was not drinking enough during my tennis days and started drinking from the first court change on - independent of if I though I needed to or not - after a while my thirst response was kicking in very early and my body was telling me I needed to drink at the first court change.  Could this type of adaptation happen in horses?

Maybe Sue G. or Gayle have some insight on this.

Truman

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.