[RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - DreamWeaver

 You might get away with that in a 50 -
but what is taken out early can't be put back in later in the ride.

Actually, that is what a good endurance horse does. They usually lose most of what they are going to lose in the first part of the ride, then they put it back and often recover by the time the ride is over. I've seen numerous smart riders do this. My horses have all done it (but they are smarter than I am) :^)

Good characteristics to have (what everybody else has been saying): takes good care of themselves, takes good care of rider too, has become good at maintaining weight thru the rides leading up to doing a 100, doesn't have problems with interfering (causing self inflicted boo-boos) or losing shoes. By taking good care of themselves, I mean they are scouting out water sources and will go to them even if the rider has DIMR and would have ridden by (either by not paying attention, or because it is dark) without stopping. They know how to do 'fast food' (the ultimate drive thru -- eat as you go) :-)

Karen
in NV

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"        :)
~  Kat Swigart