[RC] It may have been what she meant, but it isn't what she said - k s swigart

Heidi said:

I think it is a matter of common sense here what sorts of
advice you can rely on from those who have not done
100s but have other aspects of experience with them,
and what sorts you cannot.

However, what Susan K said was this:

Only one other thing to say...remember this list when someone
gives you advice and if they ain't on it.........nuff said...

Notice that she does NOT say, "...when someone gives you advice about
how to ride a 100 miler..."  What she said was "....when someone gives
you advice...."

There is all kinds of good advice that you can get from people who
weren't on Karen's list.  And Heidi is mistaken in thinking that Susan G
has never given out advice on how to complete a 100 miler.  As an
example, she has, on more than one occasion, mentioned that you would do
well to have your horse in good flesh at the start. And this advice
comes not from having completed a 100 mile ride on a horse in good
flesh, but rather having done a bunch of analytical studies (and number
crunching) from the sidelines and noting that horses in "less than good
flesh" have a much lower chance of finishing.

The best advice _I_ ever got about keeping my undies from chafing came
from an ultramarathoner who had never seen a horse closer than in the
Rose Parade.  He may not know anything about riding 100 miles on a
horse, but he sure as hell knows a lot about how to keep from getting
dehydrated, vomiting, what foods can be kept down, and how to avoid
getting chafed (problems, I might add, that I have never had on any of
the 100 milers that I have attempted including the one that I finished,
the one that I pulled at 95 miles because my horse wasn't having fun,
and the one that I pulled myself at 92 miles....maybe the reason that I
have never had those problems is because I am willing to take advice
from people who have never done a 100 mile endurance ride but still
might know a thing or two about how to avoid it :)).

Don't get me wrong, I will take advice from people who have completed
100 milers, but I won't take the advice of "don't take advice from
people who don't appear on Karen Chaton's 'just for grins' list."  Of
couse, maybe that is the reason my completion rate is so low :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

There is something really special about getting to ride all day, and all
night on your horse. I know that a lot of people like to get finished, and
get it over with. Yes, it is a lot of work. But, realize that each ride,
especially a 100 is a really special gift and savor it for all it is worth.
~  Karen Chaton