RE: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - Kathy Ramspott

Additionally, horses who EAT well the 48 hours previously and go into the
ride with a good gut fill have a TREMENDOUS water reserve in the hindgut.
As they pull the water out of that to make it into "road apples" they are
kicking SEVERAL more gallons into their circulation--hence they HAVE a
water source during those early miles.

Just some food for thought.

Heidi

Great information.  My girl so far has not drank on our training rides and
I've been worried. She will eat any opportunity I give her so I feel better
and will make sure I give her breaks to eat during the ld rides I do.  I
will start incorporating training her to drink as our training progresses.
[Kathy Ramspott]

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop