Re: [RC] [RC] RideCamp -LDs. - Barbara McCrary

This is a hard one to pin down, but I'll try.  First, endurance is defined
in our by-laws as 50 miles or greater.  Second, while I agree that 25 miles
requires more endurance of 99% of people who ever got on a horse, we are
not, or should not, compare what we are doing against 99% of people who ever
got on a horse.  We are comparing ourselves against ourselves.  Does this
make sense, or am I wording it poorly?  I once rode a completely
unconditioned horse on a 50 miler, in the days when endurance was new and I
was uneducated about endurance riding.  I did not finish, but I did reach 45
miles and ran out of time.  I truly believe that anyone can take any horse
and complete 25 miles in 6 hours.  It's not wise, but I believe it can be
done.  Therefore, those extra miles it requires to complete what is defined
as an "endurance ride" set that greater effort apart from the lower mileage
by the extra effort it takes to condition a horse for 50 miles and the extra
effort it takes to get the human body through 50 miles.  I have no scorn for
25 mile rides; I'd love to do just 25-30 miles, because that's the limit of
my comfort.  I could finish 25 miles and not feel battered.  But in order to
achieve the completion of 50 miles, I have to put in that extra effort and
endure that greater discomfort.  To me, the thrill of having reached that
goal is worth it.  When I reach the point where I cannot tolerate the
physical punishment of a 50 mile ride, I will then ride 25-30 mile rides and
not feel one bit diminished by dropping to the lower mileage.  I think I
have already reached the point where I will not try riding 100 miles again.
I'm not sure yet, but it would take a special event to lure me to try
it....perhaps our own ride, Swanton Pacific.  I know the trail intimately,
and I would know exactly where I could make time, where I couldn't, what was
coming next, and how to ride it to best advantage.  And then again, I might
just not be physically fit to do 100 miles, ever again.  We'll see......
In the meanwhile, I think everyone ought to stop fretting about the mileage
differences.  We're supposed to be out on the trail having fun, working as a
team with our favorite horse, not worrying about receiving recognition for
our efforts.  The personal sense of accomplishment should be enough to
satisfy.

Barbara