Re: [RC] [RC] RideCamp -LDs. - heidi

2) is not in fact, as you
pointed out in your other post, considered "endurance."

PS: Why is it that no one seems to have ANY difficulty with the concept
that a "marathon" is defined as an event that is 26.2 miles, but the
detractors of the name "LD" would have us believe that it is inappropriate
to define the length of an "endurance ride" as a ride 50 miles or longer?
You can't have it both ways.  The GENERIC term here, as Barbara said, is
"distance riding."  That includes various types of CTR, LD, and endurance.
Just as the generic term in the human field is "running" and the overall
designation includes (as the very folks who would have us redefine
endurance keep reminding us) everything from 100-meter sprints to
marathons.

The very logic that has been presented here in support of lumping LD in
with endurance in fact supports the opposite--it supports keeping separate
labels on each event.

And that is what we have--distance rides under 50 and run by AERC rules
are called LDs, and rides 50 and over and run by AERC rules are called
endurance rides which are in turn defined by their mileage.  If somebody
wants to feel inferior about the name LD, I would submit that it's a
personal problem...  I for one don't feel a bit inferior when I say that I
rode three LDs to get myself fit enough again for endurance.  I imagine
the occasional runner runs a few 10ks getting ready to run marathons as
well.

Heidi

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM