Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] RideCamp -LDs. - Truman Prevatt

Just do NOT try and call it endurance.

Like calling a 10K a marathon--it just doesn't WORK.  And it's insulting.  It is HARDER to do a 50 than to do a 25.  They are not the same for either horse or rider.  I can say that without IN ANY WAY putting down the lower distance.
But 10 k runners are not looked down up on. There are not list where they get slammed on a regular basis. In fact in human running, all distances get the same respect from the 100 meters to the marathon. The events are different and require different skills. There is no way the top marathoner in the world could beat the top miler in the world in a mile - would not even be close.

I suspect in a few years as the sport evolves more we will see 100 mile horses and 50 mile horses ( actually I think we see them already ) with the 50 mile horses specialized to 50 miles. As far as the horses go I don't see that a 100 mile horse is better than a 50 mile horse - maybe different but not better and I suspect a well selected and well trained 50 mile horse would blow the socks off of a 50 miles than a 100 mile horse moving down. Here I'm talking about winning and if that bothers some - hit the delete key.

I also suspect you can roll the clock back and substitute 50 miles for LD and 100 miles for endurance and you heard a lot of the same things said. As we move forward in time I suspect LD riders will be more accepted as real people and not second class citizens who are supposed to send their money to the AERC, come the the rides and pay almost the same rider fee and sit back, keep their mouth shut and worship the "real endurance riders."  I don't know maybe they should just stop supporting endurance rides, form their own organization and go have some fun. Maybe an economic boycott of endurance rides and the AERC is what the LD riders should do.

Come on folks can't be stop bashing LD's - we just did that 3 weeks ago and the cycle is normally 3 months ;-).

Truman

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.