Re: [RC] Points of View - E.L. Ashbach

How can you argue on one hand that new riders need no limits, and on the other that new riders are too stupid, or irresponsible to listen?  That makes no sense...
No, they CANNOT!  That is part of the crux of the problem.  Unless you
know the horse, and are out there on the trail with the horse, you
can't know how he's doing at any speed. Whatever speed they set will
be slower than some horses need, and too fast for others.
A minimum can't be too fast.  You can ride slower, it's the fastest that's acceptable.
So what
happens when someone rides at that speed and their horse ends up on
the jugs, and they say "But I just rode the way you told me to?"

You know, there's an obvious point here that I've somehow missed
through all of this. Rookie riders are the ones LEAST ABLE to judge
how fast they are going in terms of miles-per-hour down the trail! So
how are they to comply with the rule?
They're gonna watch their watches on the loops, like everyone else.
Either they're overconservative
and go too slow ... and maybe end up overtime ... or they come close
to the finish, look at their watch and say "OMIGOD! I'm too early!!
I'll have to stop and wait a half-hour before going into camp!" And
their horse sits out on the trail for a half-hour instead of being in
camp with water, feed and TLC. Some benefit to the horse.
That's your opinion of people you want to have no limits for?