Re: [RC] what's the point... - Sisu West Ranch

You will get no argument from me that going to an endurance event produces a
stress on a horse.  Going to a trail ride does the same. Packing in the
wilderness stress horses.  Herding cattle stresses horses etc.

We have an obligation to do our chosen horse activity in a manner that is as
safe as possible, but  if we beat ourselves up everytime a horse becomes
ill, we can end up afraid to do anything.  There are risks in owning and
riding horses.  The endurance community does a good job of minimizing the
risk, but until a lot more is learned horses will become ill, especially
when they are asked to be athletes.

Calling every illness "endurance related" implies that if the horse had not
been an endurance horse it would have been fine.  That is not the case.  If
I had not taken Ranger to an endurance ride, I most likely would have taken
him to an organized trail ride.  Horses do colic at trail rides.  If he had
coliced at a trail ride, I would not have had vet help for some hours.  By
the way,  I conditioned my horses and thus stressed them by riding many
miles long before I started distance riding.  I entered, completed, and got
a second place at my first CTR.  It was 50 miles, with an 8 hour ride time.
I did no extra conditioning before the ride.

That said, I have learned a tremendous amount by doing distance riding.  All
of my horse usage is now safer than it was before I started endurance
riding.  Can I claim that some of the good health of the 7 horses in my
pasture is "endurance related" perhaps canceling some of the "endurance
related" risk of illness??

The endurance community can be proud of the way we care for equines.  What
we need to do is to build on our strengths and make the sport safer for us
and our horses.

The glass is not half empty, it is half full and getting fuller.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road