Re: [RC] what's the point... - Susan Garlinghouse

Howard wrote:

"Trust me, when a vibrant, healthy, well conditioned horse gets into
metabolic trouble at a ride, especially if it has to be put on IV or dies,
it is endurance related. "

Ed wrote:
Howard I respectfully disagree with this statement.  I almost lost Ranger to
a colic at a ride two years ago.  The circumstances were:

FWIW, Ed, I agree more with Howard than I do you in this case.  I'm not
saying the horse you almost lost colicked because of anything you did wrong
at a ride.  It may have been pure coincidence.  BUT, there are a lot of
additional and significant stress factors that DO normally occur on the way
to and at a ride that normally would not occur at home.  We know that based
on research data that tells us (forgive the editorial "we") that experienced
horses well managed during travel nevertheless very often arrive at base
camp and start the ride with electrolyte imbalances (and lest we start that
discussion again, we're usually talking deficiencies, not excesses); with
hematological changes indicating stress factors, dehydration and sometimes
significant muscle fatigue.  And that's before you even start the doggone
ride.  It may appear that there's no difference between base camp and a ride
out the back gate at home, but physiologically speaking from the horse's
point of view...there is.  It's just not always easily recognized.

I'm not saying we're risking death just by going to a ride.  I *am* saying
that Howard is right in that we shouldn't pussyfoot around and pretend that
endurance is not a stressful event, and that 99% of the time, metabolic
trouble occurring at a ride is occurring *because* that horse is at a ride.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM