Re: [RC] It's not the distance... - E.L. Ashbach

Joe Long wrote:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:02:17 -0600, "E.L. Ashbach"
<samaia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
	You demonstrate that by *completing* the Rookie rides, goofy, how else? :-P

But all that would demonstrate is that you completed some slow trail
rides under pace controls, it would demonstrate nothing about one's
ability or temperament to ride real LD or endurance rides.

Maybe we should do like we do for Juniors, and require that all rookie
riders ride with an experienced sponsor? ; ^ >
Yeah, I've heard that proposed too.  It certainly wouldn't hurt with some of the people I've seen out there.  It wouldn't really help with the people I've seen cruisin' along on their buddies on their pasture potato, tho.

<snip>

And I'm not willing to impose unnecessary and counterproductive rules
on people just because they're newcomers to the sport.

Newcomers are so discriminated against in this sport, it's a travesty.
;-) I realize to impose *one more thing - go slow* on the Rookie, may
be too much to bear, or remember.

Well, we make them pay extra. Remember that I agree that providing
guidelines and advice to new riders is a good thing to do ... it's
mandatory controls I object to.
Boo hoo for new riders, again, their labors are large. I see it's too much to bear,  a sacrifice too large for endurance riders to bear...let's definitely protect their freedom to immediately over ride their horses.

Not everyone starts with 25's.  What would you do, require new riders
(or horses) to do X number of (speed-restricted) 25's before being
allowed to enter a 50? Would you restrict their speed in 50's until
they somehow "demonstrate" that they can be allowed to do more?

No, personally, I was thinking if you sensibly complete slow 100s as
your first rides, more power to you, baby. You done grad-ji-ated.

Under the system you're proposing, you would not be allowed to start
with 100's or even 50's, you have to do your speed-limited-rides
first.

Or, new riders who don't want to be speed-limited will just jump right
into the 50's where they won't have to put up with that. Is that what
you want?

Joe, again, please read my posts.  I know it's been a while since this whole discussion started but the idea is this.

I'll lay it out like how it might read with lots of options for additions and deletions, how's that? :-)

" for a Rookie Rider at the inception of their endurance career:

AERC doesn't not recommend that the rider start with any particular distance.
  AERC will consider you a Rookie Rider until you have completed 200 miles of competition, and during the Rookie Rider period you must ride within the following minimum and maximum time limits.

25 miles -  min ride time 4 hours ride time.
50 miles - min ride time 8 hours ride time
100 miles min ride time 18 hours ride time

This rule is created as an aknowledgement that endurance riding is a physically demanding and challenging equine event, and it is imperative that riders properly learn the direct correlation between speed and horse health.  AERC does not in any way suggest that the minimum times outlined will guarantee a horse will be introduced to this fun and exciting sport in a safe and responsible way, but that is our stated goal. "