Re: [RC] It's not the distance... - Heidi Smith

I can't stand it anymore... =:-o  All this talk about starting out with
a year of LD has driven me out of hiding...  It's not the distance,
people - it's the speed.

Well, exactly--it IS the speed.  But the point that too many miss is that a
horse with a lot of ability gets so bored out of his gourd doing just 25
miles at the slow speed that he NEEDS to be going that it can drive him
batty!  And the solution to that is to go more MILES instead of going
FASTER.

However, again, not all horses are created equal.  What is a stroll in the
park to one is way too fast for another.  So again, imposing a rule that
states a time does not allow for OPTIMAL time for THAT horse, for THAT
course, under THOSE ambient weather conditions.

My husband just did a ride on a 12-year-old gelding.  But the horse came
from another discipline, and so had fitness levels not the same as a green
5-year-old.  Now, this was the third ride on the horse.  On his first, he
took a near tumble in some rocks, came up sound, passed the next VC with
flying colors, but started to go off just before the finish.  Walked in 5
miles, pulled.  His "recovery" was that he came INTO each vet check with a
pulse in the 40s, with CRIs even lower.  OK, so his 2nd ride, he went out
slow, and just ambled along, picked off some riders, passed some more at the
vet checks, and still never came into a check with a pulse over 48.  Ended
up coming in with the 5th place horse, but horse isn't ready to race, so
when that rider took off to "race" to the finish, he just kept trotting
along behind.  So placed 6th.  Time still not very fast--small ride, last
day of a multiday.  Next ride--started 10 minutes late, did slow 4-mile
warm-up with me.  Then just picked up a tad to go his own speed.  Again,
passed people on the trail, but passed as many or more at the vet checks.
Got going enough finally to be 60 on arrival, with a pulse falling rapidly
so that his CRIs were in the 50s-to-40s, still in his recovery curve.
People got pulled.  People slowed down.  Hubby just motored along.  Finished
2nd.  Told me later, "Gee, I didn't mean to be 2nd, but folks just kept
dropping back or getting pulled!"  Tough terrain, so speed still wasn't
terribly fast.  Did the entire last loop alone, and still gained 4 minutes
on the leaders, with no attempt made to intentionally do so.  This horse is
still going SLOW for what he is!  He is relaxed, he is having fun.  Oh,
yeah--in between he went to a horse show and won the sport horse under
saddle class.  He did not need LDs.  A time limit because he is a novice
would not be in his best interests.  He is so game and has so much raw
talent that an unthinking rider probably COULD take him out and wreck him.
But going slower than what is optimal for him at this stage of his life and
at this stage of his training is not the answer, either.  Actually, if this
horse needs to do something different before he gets more fit, it will again
be to go up in distance if he starts to get bored and wants to speed up.
But the point I'm making here is that you have to ride each horse
optimally--not to some predetermined "recipe" for how much distance OR speed
is appropriate.

Bottom line--again, like distance, one size does not fit all with regard to
speed.  Vet checks and vet parameters are there to make sure that the horse
is capable of going on safely.  Where we need to turn our attention is not
toward regulating the horses to the lowest commonality, but rather improving
our skills when it comes to detection of potential problems.  We've come a
long way--but we still have room to learn.

Heidi