Re: [RC] It's not the distance... - E.L. Ashbach

Heidi,

Thanks for your response.

Heidi Smith wrote:
I can't stand it anymore... =:-o  All this talk about starting out with
a year of LD has driven me out of hiding... It's not the distance,
people - it's the speed.

Well, exactly--it IS the speed. But the point that too many miss is that a
horse with a lot of ability gets so bored out of his gourd doing just 25
miles at the slow speed that he NEEDS to be going that it can drive him
batty! And the solution to that is to go more MILES instead of going
FASTER.

I think that's what I proposed for rookie horses and riders ...  but it kind of sounds like your saying the "problem" with 25 milers, is people going too slow with their horses?  What region are you in?  I've never heard that comment before. ;-)

If the horse NEEDS to be going slow, he needs to go slow for 25, or 50 miles, you don't ride the first  25 fast and then slow down, so what's wrong with a minimum time/rookie rule?

However, again, not all horses are created equal. What is a stroll in the
park to one is way too fast for another. So again, imposing a rule that
states a time does not allow for OPTIMAL time for THAT horse, for THAT
course, under THOSE ambient weather conditions.

I'm talking novice horses here.  No horse needs to do a fast 25, 50, or 100 for it's first ride, IMO.

My husband just did a ride on a 12-year-old gelding. But the horse came
from another discipline, and so had fitness levels not the same as a green
5-year-old. <snip>
This horse is
still going SLOW for what he is! He is relaxed, he is having fun. Oh,
yeah--in between he went to a horse show and won the sport horse under
saddle class. He did not need LDs.
  A time limit because he is a novice
would not be in his best interests. He is so game and has so much raw
talent that an unthinking rider probably COULD take him out and wreck him.
But going slower than what is optimal for him at this stage of his life and
at this stage of his training is not the answer, either. Actually, if this
horse needs to do something different before he gets more fit, it will again
be to go up in distance if he starts to get bored and wants to speed up.
Why not? What kind of ride times?  I'm guessing these were 50s?  Will you ride him faster now?  Sounds like you used a two ride "get acquainted" strategy with this new horse, like he was a rookie for 100 miles?  What would it matter if AERC called him a rookie for that long?  It wouldn't matter to you since that's what you do anyway, but it really might for someone who didn't know any better, since this horse is "so game".  Heck, ride the horse faster and take a 2 hour hold at a vet check under that type of rule, if you, as a trainer think it will ruin the new horse to ride it too slow, as a "rookie horse" for 100 miles or whatever a rule specified.

But the point I'm making here is that you have to ride each horse
optimally--not to some predetermined "recipe" for how much distance OR speed
is appropriate.

Optimal riding of any horse comes after a "get acquainted" period, IMO.

Bottom line--again, like distance, one size does not fit all with regard to
speed. Vet checks and vet parameters are there to make sure that the horse
is capable of going on safely. Where we need to turn our attention is not
toward regulating the horses to the lowest commonality, but rather improving
our skills when it comes to detection of potential problems.
We've come a
long way--but we still have room to learn.

Heidi

Your solution is long term and worthy of pursuit, as well.  (My idea works now and then too.) :-)

Lisa