Re: [RC] It's not the distance... - E.L. Ashbach

<snip>
Nobody would telling you how to ride any distance, once you demonstrate
that what you *think* your new horse can do, it really can do. Like I
told Heidi, if you've got to ride your new horse in a 4 hour 50 because
it'll ruin that horse to go slower, take a 1 1/2 hour vet check or
something. It's ludicrous to be holding up "optimal ride pacing" like
it's *the most important thing in any endurance ride* for a discussion
of new horses and riders. Smell the roses the first time or two, you'll
have years to race, as you well know.

And just how would one "demonstrate" that? Especially on speed-limit
rides?
You demonstrate that by *completing* the Rookie rides, goofy, how else? :-P

<snip>

And I'm not willing to impose unnecessary and counterproductive rules
on people just because they're newcomers to the sport.

Newcomers are so discriminated against in this sport, it's a travesty. ;-)  I realize to impose *one more thing - go slow* on the Rookie, may be too much to bear, or remember.

Not everyone starts with 25's. What would you do, require new riders
(or horses) to do X number of (speed-restricted) 25's before being
allowed to enter a 50? Would you restrict their speed in 50's until
they somehow "demonstrate" that they can be allowed to do more?
No, personally, I was thinking if you sensibly complete slow 100s as your first rides, more power to you, baby.  You done grad-ji-ated.

<snip>One of the wonderful things about endurance is that it is a sport that
has NOT been ruined by "control freaks" who want to force everyone to
ride in some "approved" fashion. We provide vet controls that demand
that a horse be fit to continue, but we wisely do not try to dictate
how the rider achieves that standard.

This is the other thing, I'd like to hear from the Vets on this issue.  Wouldn't a Rookie Rule be of assistance to you with the new folks and new horses out there?  What if you don't know it's a *ride*,  not a *race*?  It sure looks like a race...

Lisa