Re: [RC] It's not the distance... - E.L. Ashbach

But Heidi, you are making unnecessary distinctions between controls and newbies.  This is an issue about *controls for newbies*.

Heidi Smith wrote:
Hmm - last time _I_ looked, there were all sorts of restrictions on NASCAR
vehicles to keep speed down. I believe there are similar restrictions on
Indy cars. Even in the very, very risky sport of car racing, we still do a
lot to mitigate the risk. Plus, they sure don't allow newbie drivers to just
buy a car and go run the Indy.

Two issues here--controls and newbies. With regard to controls--we already
have 'em. They are called vet checks and veterinary standards. Yes, we
need to do all we can to make those better--no, we don't need the equivalent
of a speed limit sign out there. With regard to newbies--newbies DO go race
cars. Just not at Indy. Kinda like they don't just go plunk down their
entry fees for the PAC.

Hey, horses get damaged and stressed and overridden at rides other than the PAC.  I've seen it, and so have you, and I've seen it done by experienced riders and new riders.  The new riders and horses,  we should help out with a little more info and training, imo.

Lisa