Re: [RC] Wolves ------now some perspective on what kind of trails do you want? - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That is exactly what those of us here want as well.  The wolves are NOT
natural in this area, and I would FAR rather see the elk, deer, etc.

So why is it ok for the non-native
wolves to be forced in here to kill off our other wildlife????

Heidi

*Heidi, I did some research here.....and from what I found, there is no
evidence that there were NOT historically
wolves ranging throughout Idaho, the Rocky Mountains and the plains states.

The grey wolf (Canis Lupus), has many subspecies...some, like the Red Wolf,
extinct.  The Great Plains, or Buffalo
Wolf (Canis Lupus nubilis), had a range from Southern Manitoba and
Saskatchewan in Canada, down to Northern Texas.
Canadian wolves currently may be a mix of subspecies of the Eastern
Timberwolf and the Great Plains Wolf.  Research also shows some natural
migration of wolves down from Canada...plus, of course, the reintroduction.

There were also subspecies of grey wolves found in the Rocky Mountain states
(Canis Lupus occidentalis).

So, I would not claim wolves are not natural in your area...even your
Canadian wolves may be genetically close to that was there before......I'll
bet if you do some research in your state, you will not only find evidence
of wolves historically, but a pretty good bounty on them also.

You will get no argument from me that there are wolf depredations on
livestock, and that it can be a problem. .  As for depredations on native
ungulates; seems like a natural thing to me.  There are absolutely no
records or proof of a human killed by wolves in North America.
Karen

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards