Re: [RC] Wolves ------now some perspective on what kind of trails do you want? - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "John and Rose Muffett" <rose_m_j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 One day you might just not have a trail left to ride on!  Have you ever
thought of that!

Regards,
Rose Muffett

*Rose, I live in a county in Northern Calif that has HORSE trails on county
land (and adding more), horse trails on
state forest land (adding and improving those, and horse trails on federal
land BLM (and adding vast acerages to that). I also have within driving
range, great trails on National Park and seashore lands....

What is important to me, and here it is horse related....is that I can get
on a horse and ride into NATURAL and native areas....where I can see native
wildlife and birds, and natives grasses and plants.  This is the main reason
I have horses and ride.  have absolutely no interest, ever, in riding in a
place where native species have been eradicated and replaces by non native
plants and grasses, feral domestic animals and livestock.

I willingly ride nto Mt. Lion territory  rattlesnake territory and bear.  I
take this risk upon myself and do not want or expect these areas to be made
"safe".  We have coyotes run through our property, raccoons, possums, etc.
We made a large, well fenced run for the chickens, and I keep my precious
little dog close to me.

Yet, becuase we have eliminated so many predators....guess what our county
had MAJOR problems with?  Feral pigs, damn introduced Rio Grande Turkeys
("planted" by Fish and Game with no biological studies whatsoever-purely for
the sport hunters).  The turkeys are wrecking havoc on the farms, vineyards
and destroying much of the native flora....feral pigs, well, no need to go
into the destruction they do.  Packs of "pet" dogs do far more damage to
livestock than the few coyotes we have left.
Karen

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond