Re: [RC] claming agents that won't test positive, know any? - Truman Prevatt

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
Howard:

1.  How long does it take for the performance enhancing substances found in the weeds to be eliminated from your horse?  How do you know that 48 hours is long enough?

The half life of bute is 12 hours. So in 48 hours if you gave them a gram you would have 1/16th of that remaining. I suspect that 1/16 of a gram of bute has very little pharmacological value since when I have to use it (the west nile episode last fall was one) my vet said every 12 hours. If I can remember the document I downloaded from the AERC web site recommended 96 hours - just "to be safe."
2. How do you know that these unknown plants are safe for horses to eat?  Many plants are poison.  Since you say you love your horses I assume that you know that the strange plants in your pasture do not hurt your horse.

The horses are alive and happy is one good indicator.
3. Does your moral code require you to do what is right at all times? or do rules only apply when you might get caught? Is this the reason you are so worried about riders talking to vets?

We have the information to know the half life of drugs - the drug companies have to supply that. We have the information to know when a drug has no pharmacological effect. The AERC drug rule is very good policy but IMO sucks as a rule. It is like saying you should not drive under the influence of alcohol on public roads, wonderful policy. But it's a crappy law - the law that institutes that policy specifies the level in which you are under the influence.

Drug rules need not be based on witch craft nor do they need to be based on vague policy. Most major sports have them and most test. And when you base a rule on something that is non observable then IMO that's a crappy rule. Maybe good policy but a crappy rule all the same - especially when it comes to those item that are not traditionally considered drugs. We have a good policy - we just need a good implementation in the form of a good enforceable and yes testable rule.

Truman