Re: [RC] claming agents that won't test positive, know any? - Heidi Smith

>If some of these weeds were harvested, dried I am sure you could classify them as a herb. The whole issue about herbs is quite gray as far as I see. So in my pasture it is okay since it is a naturally occurring substance but bought at GNC the same exact substance is not allowed?

No, Truman, the rule is not gray at all.  It is just as illegal if they eat it in your pasture as if you buy it at GNC and give it to them.  It behooves endurance folks to not have their horses eating strange things.  The actual policy for implementation of the rule, though, is that if your horse tests positive for trace amounts of some off-the-wall thing that you clearly didn't give him, your violation of the rule is most apt to be treated with a warning letter, whereas if he tests positive for therapeutic amounts of something, you're gonna get whacked.

>However, it's not all that clear how the drug rule expressly applies unless these herbs contain prohibited active drugs in sufficient amounts to have some pharmacological effect or a making agent. Both of these are specifically addressed in the list that was at one time on the AERC website.

The rule doesn't state "sufficient amounts."  It states a no tolerance policy.  These substances ARE NOT "natural foodstuffs"--even if your horse eats them in plants in the pasture.  Heck, in the woods in southern Oregon in some places, he could go on  a cannabis "high" from grazing along the trail, just as surely as if he was eating laced brownies in the 60's.  Doesn't make it legal...

>The FDA has been wrestling with how to regulate the herbal industry for several years and as of yet they (and Congress ) can't seem to come up with anything that makes much sense. How do you regulate something "grandma grows in the back yard (and has been doing it for 50 years ) as something to make her feed good on a cold day?"

The FDA's task is not at all equivalent to AERC's.  The AERC rule says you won't use it, period.  FDA has to regulate with regard to efficacy and quality--those CAN be gray areas with herbal/"natural" preparations.

Heidi