helmet replacement

I just read an article in this month's Equus magazine that stated that most
manufacturers recommend that riders return helmets after a fall for
inspection even if no damage is visible.  They go on to recommend that even
if no falls have occurred that helmets be replaced every five years.  They
attribute this to environmental factors (heat and direct sunlight can
weaken the plastic) but even with good care the materials in the helmet
lining (polystyrene) tend to break down over time.
----------

<eyler@mindspring.com ]
<eyler@mindspring.com ]
>   Re: Helmet Replacement                [ "Stephanie Wind"
<wind@visionsofthe ]
>   Re: BIG FEET!!                        [ "Judy A. Worley"
<aussie@aa.net> ]
>   Helmet replacement                    [ flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu
(Flemmer, L ]
>   Scott's Flat 11th & over et al        [ guest@endurance.net ]
>   Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions           [ CMKSAGEHIL <CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com>
]
>   Re: Yearbook                          [ CMKSAGEHIL <CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com>
]
>   chiroprater                           [ lawson@htcomp.net (Nicki
Lawson) ]
<danugna@teleport.c ]
<bobmorris@rmci.net ]
<PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.c ]
<PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.c ]
<eyler@mindspring.com ]

<ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: BIG FEET!!

> ------=_NextPart_000_0071_01BD849D.A570B1C0
>
> I was told by a packer , that they like big feet for stability, and they
> don't sink into the mud as deep as a smaller foot. The horses only walk.
> Anyway, that's the good side.   Judy Worley

scanner). I will make every attempt to get this done today. The rest of the
ride results will be delivered to all via the traditional methods. Please
don't
> take offense when I caution everyone to be patient and understanding with

> ride managers and their volunteers, lest we have increasingly fewer rides

> to enjoy...
> Jayne.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:20:59 EDT
> From: CMKSAGEHIL <CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com>
> To: truman.prevatt@netsrq.com, ramey@wvi.com, ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions
>
> In a message dated 98-05-20 23:09:19 EDT, truman.prevatt@netsrq.com
writes:

> << Just because someone thinks it is a good idea doesn't mean a by-law
change.
>   If it is a big problem then maybe it needs fixed but if it is not we
>  should not be fixing it.  I would like the data so I can make an
informed
>  decision.  I think the membership deserves no less.
>   >>

> Just for the record, Truman, in all the rides I have vetted over the
years, I
> have seen very few 5-year-olds asked to do 100's, and no problems with
those
> that have.  I see far more problems overall on the shorter distances, and
far
> more problems when young horses are asked to go too fast rather than to
go
> farther.
>
> Heidi Smith, DVM
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:25:33 EDT
> From: CMKSAGEHIL <CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com>
> To: truman.prevatt@netsrq.com, ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Yearbook
>
> In a message dated 98-05-20 23:37:49 EDT, truman.prevatt@netsrq.com
writes:

> << Welcome to the information age.  It is much easier to maintain data
bases
>  and develop new database application if not two varmits have the same
>  number. >>
>
> Alas, my old stallion Surrabu had a distinctly individual number, as does
his
> son Abu Ben Surrabu, who has competed frequently the past few years.  For
over
> three years, and despite MANY calls and letters, the office staff would
> actually CHANGE the entry information and "correct" the number for Abu
Ben
> [...]
> newsletter after they corrected his records.
>
> Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:14:36 -0500
> From: lawson@htcomp.net (Nicki Lawson)
> To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: chiroprater
>
> Does anyone know of a good horse chiroprater(sp?) in the Centeral  Texas
> region.?  Somewhere near Waco?
>
> I would also like to thank everyone who wrote about Red foundering.
> Just want you all to know he seems to be doing fine? We have him
> in heart bars for the time being.  Also on hoof supplements, There
> is no lameness at this time, but of course keeping a careful eye on
> him.  Thanks  Nicki L.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 00:54:55 -0700
> From: Cathy Pritchett <danugna@teleport.com>
> To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: Crash Test
>
> Roger,
>
> Glad you're okay!  Not fun, I know.  The only serious injuries I have
ever
> had coming off of a horse were precipitated by an out of control dog in
the
> back of a pick up. Don't know who was more frightened by the sight of
this
> large animal lunging at us.  The physical injuries healed okay, but since
> hadn't been able to get right back up on the horse and ride, I found
myself
> afraid of a horse for the first time in my life.  I've been riding for
over
> 40 years and it took me by shock.  That was 5 years ago and I have worked
> through it pretty well, but, I have to admit, I am a different rider now.
> Can't say enough for helmets though, I am a firm believer in them, feel
> naked when I don't have one on.  Hope you heal quickly.
>
> Cathy in SW Oregon
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:50:03 -0700
> From: Anastasia Hurley <ahurley@cncx.com>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: saddle fit
>
> There are a couple of interesting articles on the equine back and saddle
> fit at
>
> http://www.thehorse.com/index.html <http://www.thehorse.com/index.html>
>
> Stasia
> Elvis  - " el jefe"
> Bingo -  the baby - that did very well this weekend, riding out in
> company
> e =ahurley@cncx.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:45:01 -0600
> From: "Robert Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net>
> To: <ramey@wvi.com>
> Cc: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions
>
> Ramey:
> <<<Is it your suggestion that this issue be deleted from the bylaws and
> > only appear in AERC rules?>>>>
>
> It is my suggestion that those desiring this change present it to the
AERC
> Rules Committee in the proper form as prescribed by the AERC Procedures
> with supporting documentation and/or data. The wheels of change (or no
> change) can then grind along in the proper manner.
>
> Bob Morris
> Morris Endurance Enterprises
> Boise, ID
>
> ----------
> > From: Ramey Peticolas-Stroud <ramey@wvi.com>
> > To: bobmorris@rmci.net
> > Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
> > Subject: Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions
> > Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998 9:29 AM
> >
> > Thanks for the input, Bob.  A minimum age for horses in endurance
> > competition is already in the AERC Bylaws at Article V.  Also,
> > California statutes control this issue and we use Robert's Rule as a
> > guidline.
> >
> > Is it your suggestion that this issue be deleted from the bylaws and
> > only appear in AERC rules?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ramey
> >
> > Robert Morris wrote:
> > >
> > > Ramey:
> > >
> > > You stated:
> > >
> > > <<<This is the time to address any other Article and Bylaw issues.
For
> > > example, there is a motion before the Board to require 100 mile
horses
> > > to be a minimum of 72 months old at the time of competition.  We are
> > > also drafting language which will allow the Board to meet and vote
over
> > > the Internet to reduce administrative expense.>>>
> > >
> > > In referring to Robert's Rules of Order we find the following
comment;
> "The
> > > contents of a society's bylaws has important bearing on the rights
and
> > > duties of members within the organization ... and on the degree to
> which
> > > the general membership is to retain control of , or be relieved of
> detailed
> > > concern with, the society's business".
> > >
> > > I do not see where any "rule" concerning the age for competition of
> horses
> > > in 100 mile rides has any place in the bylaws.
> > >
> > > It would seem that a full review of the RROO chapter on bylaws is in
> order
> > > for the committee if it is considering such an item to be included.
My
> [...]
>
> Stephanie Wind McCray
> Tucson, AZ
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 17:40:00 -0600
> From: "Karen Steenhof" <steenhof@cyberhighway.net>
> To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Yearbook
>
> I guess my suggestion of printing only horses with 1000+ miles in the
> yearbook wasn't too popular.  Still I'm concerned that the horses with
1000+
> miles are getting buried in the lists by all the horses with less than
1000
> miles.  The purpose of the 1000 mile horse program is to recognize horses
> with 1000+ miles.  How about putting the 1000+ miles in bold to give them
> the recognition they deserve?  Then special lists for the horses with
5000+
> miles?  Plus a web site where you could retrieve any info you want by
year,
> region, miles, or alphabetically by horse or rider.
>
> Karen Steenhof
> Boise, Idaho
> steenhof@cyberhighway.net
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:07:30 -0400
> From: Cynthia Eyler <eyler@mindspring.com>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Bits/Hackamores
>
> What kinds of bits/hackamores do people use for a horse that generally
does
> not require a lot of control?  And why?
>
> A friend has told me that hackamores are better for endurance horses
> because they can eat on the trail without having a bit get in the way
> (though the snaffle I use never seems to get in my gelding's way <g>).
>
> Can anyone recommend a good source of information about the purpose and
> action of various kinds of bits?
>
> Cindy Eyler
> Baltimore MD
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 16:55:35 -0600
> From: "Robert Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net>
> To: <ramey@wvi.com>
> Cc: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions
>
> Ramey:
>
> You have me confused! You asked<<<Is it your suggestion that this issue
be
> deleted from the bylaws and only appear in AERC rules?>>>>
>
>  So I referenced the procedure for putting it in the Rules as an
indication
> as to where the issue should be.
>
> You replied <<<Your references are some what outdated.  Actually Bylaws
are
> within the
>  province of the Bylaws Committee.   Maybe that's why they named it
so.>>>>

> Has the procedure for establishing rules been changed???
>
> As for the by-laws Committee, when did this come into existence and how
> does its charter and operating procedures read??  I can find no reference
> to this committee in the AERC News Committee listing, even though the
Board