RE: [RC] Convention Rooms - Karen Standefer

Last time the convention was at the Nuggett, I was still working for
Expedia.com  I booked a SPA room (with Jacuzzi) for $67/night which was
about $30 less than the regular room at the AERC rate.  The hotels use to
sell blocks of rooms REALLY cheap to some of the online companies.  The
rooms are then "owned/bought" by the online agencies and are not available
for the hotel to book through their general booking system any longer.  That
still happens to a large extent, but the hotels don’t give the really deep
discounts any longer because people are travelling more and they can make
more money now because the hotels book up better than 3-8 years ago.

Subsequently, the hotels have more blocks of rooms that are not bought up by
the online travel companies.  So, the hotels cheapen them the closer it gets
to your booking date (usually the discounts start 2 weeks out, but in a
place like Reno or Vegas, if there are big blocks of rooms not sold, maybe
they start discounting earlier).

So, when the conventions book at the hotel, they will likely be paying the
"regular" rate (not the rack rate which is much higher, but just the normal
booking rate before any discounts) when they book the convention.  Whether
or not the rooms are discounted further depends on the amount of rooms sold
closer to the time of the convention.

Karen