Re: [RC] Feeding the young endurance prospect - Nancy Sturm

Nancy, are you doing endurance on those two horses? How do they compare. We have both mfts and twhs but have not ridden an icelandic.

Because of some physical problems of my own, I ride Limited Distance. The TWH has done 9 rides and top-tenned four times. We condition with some very serious Arab endurance riders. For instance, today we went ten miles trotting (gaiting for my horse) with an Arab that will be doing 50's or 75's. I think this horse could be real competitive at any distance. He's only 14.3 and very lean and just loves going down the trail. I just got plain old lucky in choosing a gaited horse for distance.

The Icelandic is just started under saddle, but because everyone I ride with is conditioning endurance horses, she's out doing the same trails, only less of it for now. She's a pretty tough little gal and can keep up with the Arabs climbing and descending, but when they start to trot and she is gaiting, it is bye bye Arabs. It really doesn't seem to bother her, she just keeps plugging along. Eventually they stop and we come gaiting up to the group. I'm going to continue to condition her as if she would be ding an easy LD late in the summer, but right now it looks like she might be a good contendor for the turtle award.

Nancy