Re: [RC] Feeding the young endurance prospect - Sisu West Ranch

Except for a little beet pulp as a vehicle for Se, we feed our youngsters hay or pasture.  We sort of feel that horses grow best on lots of forage.  You shouldn't need to put lots of calories into a horse that is not in training.

I'm sure that they don't grow as fast as horses on lots of high powered feed, and may end up an inch or two shorter at maturity, but we are not entering in shows or other events as 2 yr olds, so what difference does it make.

Some claim that it is over feeding and early saddle training that leads to the bone and joint problems that our local stock horse owners seem to be always having with their horses.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875