Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] pets OT/long - Maryanne Gabbani

There are semi-feral dogs all over the Egyptian countryside. They attach themselves to a family and guard that household, its kids, its livestock, its poultry, even the cats and won't kill at home. Next door is another story leading to some poultry purchases on the whole, however. And the dogs don't bite people passing by despite their ferocious barking. I ride by them daily and have had years to watch these dogs...I'd rather deal with them any day than someone's pet.
I have a pack of ten Rat Terriers who would be happy to kill MY poultry...dumb idiots..but they were introduced to poultry too late for them to understand to leave it alone and many of them are retired hunting dogs from grain siloes where they were encouraged to chase off pigeons and such. I also have five other large dogs and chain link fence that encloses  my 2.5 acres. My neighbours appreciate my fencing as they are terrified of the Dane, Dalmations, Sloughi and my baladi dog. They also sound very fierce but once you are welcomed in, they are very good other than the stupid Sloughi who is still awaiting delivery of her brain at 6 months and is still learning to keep her feet on the ground. The interesting thing is that they will not even threaten a woman but they will make a man stand and wait for me to come.
A few months ago I lost my only breeding rat terrier, a wonderful stud, to a neighbour's mastiff....and the idiot can't grasp why his dogs are not allowed to enter the land.  Some people just shouldn't have dogs.

Maryanne