[RC] pets OT/long - indiancp

someone who will "get even" with someone by hurting their pet is sadly lacking something in their soul.
however there is also a kind of pet owner who feel that their pet can do no wrong and if it's driving you crazy, tearing up your stuff, killing your animals...oh well. i love dogs, have five of my own but i keep them at home. they are not allowed to run the neighborhood and annoy people or animals. we have two neighbors who believe that their dogs should "run free and be happy." i mean after all that's what they moved to the country for. the one down the road had a dog who started coming onto our property and chasing goats. i ran him off and called his owner and told him very nicely he needed to keep red at home, he was chasing my goats and was going to hurt one. next day red was right back and this time he was chasing and biting at them. i called again.
KEEP YOUR DOG AT HOME!! neighbor's response was "well if he hurts anything i'll pay the vet bill." and "if you'll just shoot up in the air he'll run home. he's scared of guns." like i could sit and watch day and night with gun ready to scare him in case the dog came back . the next day he was right back and this time he brought a goat down. if i'd had time to load the gun i'd have shot him but decided i'd better save the goat. called the neighbor again. KEEP YOUR BLEEP BLEEP DOG AT HOME. IF HE COMES BACK I WILL BLOW HIS BLEEPING HEAD OFF!! his response was "i hate to pen my dog up with as much land as we have." well...duh...if he was staying on your land we wouldn't be having this conversation. i loaded the gun and was ready although it just killed me to think of shooting a dog. like i said i love dogs. the next day the dog choose another neighbors place who raises goats, had one down and the man shot him. to this day the neighbor dog owner probably thinks i shot the dog but that's okay. he has a couple now and he keeps them at home.
the other neighbor lives across the road. he bought a male and a female and let them run loose. of course the female had pups of some sort and he kept those too. made a nice strong pack. they killed all of the other goat owning neighbors kids and had started on the does when i saw them in his pasture and ran them off. we told the dog owner but he continued to let them all run loose.
one early morning we spotted him walking in our front pasture where the goats were. knowing something was up we went to check but he left before we got out there. when we got there we had dead and injured goats all over the place and we knew exactly what had happened. his dogs had gotten in and he'd gone in to get them out before we saw them. i called him and told him if he didn't confine or get rid of those dogs i would sue him for every dead goat (they were bred, too) and for the vet bills and i was NOT playing. mentioned a few other things like he wasn't much of a man to try to hide from what he was responsible for and didn't even come and tell us we had injured goats needing attention. know what this man did that claimed he loved his dogs so much? got the whole bunch up and DUMPED THEM. oh, and the only thing he was sorry about was that we saw him.
since then we've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on horse safe fencing and so far nothing has gotten in but it still worrys me.

patty in georgia

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader.

.