RE: [RC] Be part of the solution - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Just an idle thought along the lines of introducing newbie requirements to the sport…maybe for the first 5-10 rides or whatever, newbie riders should have to meet a lower pulse criteria at the vet checks.  Say, about 24 <vbg>.  And/or, require a stringent exit CRI.  The vetting framework is already in place, all it needs is an extra tick mark next to the rider’s name on the in-timers list and/or on the vet card.  Or, a different colored vet card.  Or, whatever.

 Personally, I like knowing if a rider is new at a vet check, I can explain things if they need it, and yes, I might watch them a little more.  Anyway, just seems some selectively tougher vetting criteria might be helpful, not too difficult to initiate, though still not a guarantee (there aren’t any of those).  I realize this wouldn’t affect ‘experienced’ riders that still insist on overriding their horse.

I’m sure smarter people than me would have reasons why this wouldn’t work.  Just a thought.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM