RE: [RC] Be part of the solution - Elizabeth Chase

I would love to be a part of a solution, or a changing trend, if nothing
else....

...when I first joined this list, I emailed the people in my area who had put
themselves on a list as available as mentors.... and they both told me they
were too busy and had no interest in taking on newcomers.
Go figure.

I cannot even find information on Minnesota and Wisconsin rides. It's almost
like, if there are any, they are a closely held secret.

So, in the best interests of my equine friend, I am trying to learn as much as
I can on my own. God knows there's little enough actual information shared on
this forum, mostly proselytizing (sic), pronouncing, and pontificating.... and
passing judgment.

What am I doing for myself? Researching barefoot distance riding.... I really
don't give a whoop about ego and what anyone thinks of CTR, LT, and
endurance.... to me they are all on a continuum... I just want to ride, and
eventually do multi-day distance..... nutrition, hydration, conditioning, and
I've volunteered to crew at next year's Tevis (my vacation request is
pending)....

If I am treading on toes, consider the reason for feeling defensive.... but all
this talk is cheap.  Get out there and 'adopt' a newbie.... actually take on an
apprentice... walk the talk people. Make the success and safety of the horses
happen on a grassroots level.

Liz
MN

--- "Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM" <suendavid@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Just an idle thought along the lines of introducing newbie requirements to
the sport.maybe for the first 5-10 rides or whatever, newbie riders should
have to meet a lower pulse criteria at the vet checks.  Say, about 24 <vbg>.
And/or, require a stringent exit CRI.  The vetting framework is already in
place, all it needs is an extra tick mark next to the rider's name on the
in-timers list and/or on the vet card.  Or, a different colored vet card.
Or, whatever.

 Personally, I like knowing if a rider is new at a vet check, I can explain
things if they need it, and yes, I might watch them a little more.  Anyway,
just seems some selectively tougher vetting criteria might be helpful, not
too difficult to initiate, though still not a guarantee (there aren't any of
those).  I realize this wouldn't affect 'experienced' riders that still
insist on overriding their horse.

I'm sure smarter people than me would have reasons why this wouldn't work.
Just a thought.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

http://mail.yahoo.com