Re: [RC] tying up - Beth Walker

I'm sure there are folks on this list with much more experience than me, but I will pass along some feeding advice from my vet. This may or may not be applicable to you.

My horse has never had a tying-up episode, I was just asking him for general advice. He recommended that I take grain out of the diet, and make up calories with rice bran and/or some other type of fat.

This was based on research which seemed to indicate that some episodes of tying up were caused by grain in the ration that made it to the lower section of the digestive tract. Byproducts produced by digesting grain farther down were implicated in tying-up episodes.

Depending on the type of rice bran, you may have to add minerals to balance the Calcium/phosphorus ration. I use Natural Glo, which comes pre-balanced, so I don't have to worry about it. So, for my boy -- who is only about 840 lbs -- he is on bermuda hay, supplemented with 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, 2 lbs of rice bran and about a pound of (dry shredded weight) beet pulp. I split the pellets and rice bran between feedings, which allows me to bump him up a bit with the alfafa, rice bran or both if he starts looking light. Your milage will most probably vary, and I would suggest you consult with your vet before changing his feeding program around.