[RC] tying up - jen

Ok, let me try again....

Hi,  I'm finally having time to write about my experience at the Whiskeytown Chaser.  This was my second attempt at a ride.  First attempt at this ride.  I was warned it was very tough.  So my horse vetted in with a 40 pulse and all A's.  The vet was a little concerned about his weight/size but felt reassured when I told him I was planning a very slow 25.  We started alone about 10 minutes after almost everybody else and we went along fine.  It was cold (47F) and raining, which I considered in our favor because Banjo is a stocky TWH/QH cross.  So we were going along very slowly because it was very steep and I very quickly knew that we were not going to finish in the alloted time--but that was not important.  I felt so great starting this ride.  I was so proud of my boy carrying me out alone on strange trails without hesitation(something that is not his favorite thing to do).  So, along we went and after walking and a little bit of trotting we made a classic newbie mistake and took a wrong turn (thanks to the lady who finally clued me in).  So we took a breather and while we were resting Banjo urinated and I looked to make sure all was well and saw dark brown urine.  PANIC!  I immediately got down and asked him to follow me back down the trail.  This happened about 6 miles into the ride.  We walked back to the vet check which was about 2 miles back down the mountain and I told the vet what was going on.  she checked him and said everything looked ok but she was calling the trailer to come pick us up.  He was willing to nibble at hay and grass but did not drink until we got back to camp.  We got back to camp and the vet said untack and bring him back..on our way to untack he peed again and it was about half brown and then yellow.  So, we were examined by the head vet--he found a tiny little muscle cramp, but all other parameters were good and he was willing to trot out.  So, the vet gave him some bute and said rest him, get him drinking and eating, watch for more urination and bring him back in hour.  I got him cleaned up and blanketed--still lightly raining this whole time.  I let him rest, he ate and drank if I walked him to the big water trough and had him rechecked in an hour.  At this point 2 of 3 vets were there and they again checked all vitals and had me trot him out again.  They both said he looked good and we were making forward progress...keep doing what I was doing and watch for urination.  So several hours go by and we have several poops, he is still eating and drinking but no urination.  Finally, he urinates and it is still brown, back to the vet--by this time all three are there and they decide to dose him with the nasal tube with electrolytes.  The vets still seem surprised at how well he is doing and said if it weren't for everything else looking so good they would have sent us to the equine hospital for IV fluids.  Just under 2 hours after he was dosed with the elytes he urinated nice good urine.  I reported this to the vets and they gave me the thumbs up for the night and said keep and eye on him and give him a couple of weeks off and get back out there and ride.  they also gave me the directions to hospital incase he took a turn for the worse during the night.  We traveled home the next day without incident.  I have had blood work done three times on him since and he is almost back to normal.  All the numbers are good except for his AST is still coming down to normal levels.  He has been released to start back lunging for a week and then very light riding for several weeks after that.
SO.........I have a mllion questions and very little answers at this point.
I would appreciate all comments, observations, advice or anything anybody else has to offer.  Also, if anybody is interested in what his exact kidney and muscle enzymes were I would be willing to share that info, as well.
Thanks, Jen and Banjo