Re: [RC] tying up - Don Huston

Hello Jen,

Years ago at a Death Valley ride my friend's arab cramped up and he was pulled at lunch, that coupled with 30F temps and 30mph blowing snow was all the excuse I needed to do an RO. I know, what a wimp :-[. Anyway, that's how we ended up being driven back to camp by Jackie Bumgardner (she has a bazillion miles) and discussing tying up. She told us a story about a great quarter horse of hers that would tie-up very early in a ride if it was not ridden fairly hard (15mi and a good sweat) within 2-3 days before competing. After 3-4 tying up episodes mixed in with being just fine they discovered the connection to pre-race exercise for that horse and the problem ceased. I don't know if that will apply to Banjo but you might keep it in mind. Good Luck because it's always nice to have a little.

Don Huston at cox dot net
SanDiego, Calif