[RC] tying up - sherman

I’ve never had a horse tie-up, however, I did have a horse that was prone to tie-ups in my care for about 3 years. Her initial treatment (before she came to me) included checking the selenium level which  it was very low, so the horse was given a selenium shot and then given selenium on a daily basis. Also, while in my care, I never gave the horse grain UNLESS she had been worked hard. Tying up is linked to selenium deficiency as well as grain being fed on days when the horse is not worked, then they are put to work & tie-up, sometimes just after a short walk.

I don’t know much about the QHs tendency to tie-up, but I recall reading something about it. Anyone know about QHs tying up? Is that HYPP? Does it require QH sire & dam to get this disease?

Kathy