[RC] USEF & Thinking Outside the Box - kimfuess

Being stuck in the house today and not being able to ride today, I am going to make a few comments. Regardless of my personal opinion there could be some advantages to US International racing by cutting ties to AERC and developing a new endurance program. Before everyone jumps on me for being anti International read what I have to say first. I think US International riding would benefit by "thinking outside the box" or starting from scratch. Obviously this has not been done in the past or present. There is no reason it couldn't be done while affiliated with AERC but it certainly has not been done. So perhaps, if USEF had to start from scratch they could develop a program designed specifically to meet their goals. But right now, the entire program is based on AERC. AERC's focus is not on a high level competition or high level racing. Yet, we (and by that I mean the US not AERC) are using AERC to develop a racing program. It may have worked in the past but it is not working now as more nations develop specific regiments and programs for high level competition. USEF has the ability to USE anything and any method to qualify riders. I think the only FEI requirement is that a horse must earn a COC and at that time must be passported and the rider/horse must be members of various organizaitons. USEF is using AERC rides for a mileage requirement and AERC rides to qualify riders when the only FEI requirement is really the COC. So why be limited to AERC rides to find "qualified teams and horses"?? Why not step outside of the AERC system and look at new ways to qualify horses and to test horses. Here are a few ideas. FEI does not require sanctioned rides (other then a COC certificate to field a team or individual) so why stick to the traditional AERC/USEF/FEI sanctioning.

1. DEVELOP A PROGRAM THAT MATCHES THE GOAL - Develop a mission statement that matches that actual goal USEF endurance wants to accomplish. It could be winning, it could be team medaling, it could be finishing an entire team.... Once that is established, develop programs that will allow riders to meet that goal. These do not require sanctioning from ANY organization and therefore will reduce the cost of passporting and all the extra fees that come with FEI sanctioning. These would be TRAINING programs for the potential squad members that would TEST the capabilities or potential of horse/rider teams. Horses could be put on a track from the time they start their distance careers if owners so choose.
Some examples of the would be the young horse testing programs. These could be set up within the different time zones twice a year. Because these would not be sanctioned rides, these could be designed for the long term goal of identifying potential world class level horses. These tests could also identify a horses strength and weaknesses as far as developing "team members" that will excel on a certain type of course. We all know there are horses that are great in the hills and some that are great on flat courses. Once these horses are identified, the rider could be given specific programs to develop the horse to it's highest potential in an area which he already shows natural ability. Again, the rider could use AERC rides as part of the program but always keeping the long term goal in mind. Until, the horse has proven himself as "Championship" material, the rider would not have to invest in all the additional fees that FEI riding requires. Again, there is no need to enter an FEI ride until the COC is required. USEF would develop a National program that would be flexible but give guidelines to those who might want to be on a squad someday.

2. TIME ZONE DEVELOPMENT: Put more emphasis and responsibility for testing and developing FEI riders within time zones. There is already time zone representation so develop a national program that can be implemented within "time zones". Riders within time zones can train together easier as a team or squad. If necessary, they can be asked to attend AERC rides as training and ride as a team practicing team strategies. Each time zone can develop a hill squad and a flat squad. Each time zone can have a junior horse program. The training rides or tests could be run under the exact conditions a high level FEI ride is run under so riders can experience and become comfortable with protocol they will experience abroad in competition. There would be no need to make this event "low key" because there is no need to accommodate the average AERC rider. Because this is a non sanctioned event, costs would be reduced because it could be run like an FEI event but without sanctioning fees. Travel costs of officials could be reduced because you could use local volunteers. If tests could be held within time zones, travel expenses would also be reduced for riders in the program.

3. THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX- Instead of trying to adapt AERC riding which really is designed for the amateur, go beyond. Develop programs, testing, training protocols, etc. that will allow early identification of potential championship level horses, where those horses will excel AND give US riders an environment to bring those horses to that potential with guidance and with the least amount of wear and tear. Keep the costs down so more riders can at least test the water to see if they like this kind of riding or more important give them an opportunity to see if their horse actually has the potential to reach the FEI championship level. You don't need sanctioning from ANY organization for testing and training. If the US wants to succeed on the world stage, learn from those that are successful and develop programs that will adapt to our geography and our diversity. I think because of the diversity, differences in various regions, variety of terrain, there is NO reason that a competitive team could not be developed for any championship course anywhere in the world. There is a huge pool of endurance horses that have different natural abilities that can be developed for a National team. I just think that we just need to get beyond the AERC model and develop new ideas and programs. If you don't like these idea or think they won't work come up with others. Just don't keep trying to adapt the same ideas that are not bringing in the desired response.

4. My biggest complaint with the association between high level FEI riding and AERC is that many times I find that the values conflict. There is nothing in FEI riding that emphasizes longevity. There are trends to "race" younger horses with no regard to where that horse will be in a few years. There is now a set speed requirement to earn a COC regardless of the course terrain or footing. My pet peeve is that USEF lowered the WEC competition age to 7 years old. This conflicts with much of the educational material that is promoted by the highly respected in AERC and articles printed in EN and used for AERC educational purposes. These recommend THREE years of endurance competition before "racing". According to one AERC article by Deb Bennett, horses aren't even mature by age 7. It seems so stupid to tell the average AERC member that they should put a three year base on their horses before "racing" yet those who are supposed to be the most knowledgeable, the most respected and admired, and the most successful in our sport are lowering the WEC competition age. What kind of example is that. Do as we say but not as we do? There has to be some kind of continuity of trends and values between AERC and USEF/FEI if you want support from the average AERC member. The big tent has room for everyone but I think we should all have the same core values if we are going to share the tent. The trend in International Endurance wouldn't bother me as much IF it wasn't tied to AERC. It would just be another equestrian sport like flat track racing which doesn't personally effect me or my hobby. In fact, I could be a lot more supportive of it and of it's goals, if it were outside of the umbrella of AERC.

My #3 was not the purpose of writing this post. It is my opinion and my bias. If me, with my bias, can brainstorm ideas that might work in USEF and High level competition, there is no reason why those who truely support International racing can't do the same to come up with new ideas for success. As far as I can tell, there is no official reason WHY new things can't be tried or at the very least discussed. I just do not see this being done or discussed in a positive way.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Long" <jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "John Teeter" <johnt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I want to be sure no one took my comments as being anti-International. Although I am not involved in International at this time, I have been in the past and I may be again in the future. I am not in the camp that wants the AERC to disassociate ourselves from International and go our own way, I believe in the "big tent" and think that our sport and our organization has room for everyone, from the occasional LD rider to the avid International competitor.

--
Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx