Re: [RC] did AHA give in or did they have no choice - Diane Trefethen

Hi Heidi,

I think because you fervently believe in keeping the Arabian breed as pure as possible and are upset by the results of this lawsuit, you might be reading Mr Krause's comments as supportive of the terms of the settlement when in fact, you, and I, have absolutely no idea how he feels about it. For all we know he might be angrier than hell that these half-arabs are being crammed down AHA's throat, or he might own several himself and be tickled pink. My point is that whatever he FEELS, he WROTE about the settlement, not its terms, and he did so as President of AHA, responsible for making that which is a fait accompli as palatible as possible, not as Myron the Ridecamp poster who can say any damn thing he wants. For the following arguments, I will try to use Occam's Razor as my justification, "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" or KISS <kind>. [BTW, I am just a little old lady trying to get herself and horse into decent enough condition to do 50's again, not a breeder and only a recently-rejoined member (cheapie version) of AHA (saves on re-registering my new horse).]
I read #2 to be extolling the virtues of accepting the horses as well. One might argue that the "business benefits" would be the cessation of
legal fees, I suppose--but it is "benefits" in the plural, and I read that
to mean increased business for the association and its members, inferring
trafficking in these horses.
Since Mr Krause doesn't say there is any virtue in accepting theses horses, I fail to see why you think he did. And as to the plural "benefits", besides legal fees there will be savings in staff time and office expenses, travel fees for court time. I can imagine that there will be better relations with Arabian organizations in other countries that might have supported allowing these horses in which in turn will facilitate the exchange of data on horses registered elsewhere in the world. I'm sure an AHA exec could come up with many more "benefits". Better yet, reading the terms of the lawsuit would spell out EXACTLY WHAT AHA GOT in exchange for accepting these horses. Which brings up another point... of what benefit is it to current AHA members to accept as pure, documentably impure horses? Sure it benefits the SA breeders, but THEY don't belong to AHA. Unless there is a buried proviso that states from now on, partbreds with at least 99.8% Arabian blood can be registered with AHA as purebreds, the members don't get diddly.

I also see #3 as assuming a whole heckuva lot--it doesn't "settle" any
disagreements "between camps" as he puts it.  That's sure a good glossing
over.
I agree that it doesn't settle people's disagreements on this issue but it does put a LEGAL end to the dispute.

And while #7 lists the "milestone" as being the freedom of lawsuits, the
wording that this is a "successful" conclusion certainly leads one to
believe that he was firmly in favor of it.
Remember which side of the argument AHA was on. They did not support accepting these horses so clearly being forced to accept them could not logically be called a "successful conclusion". Again, he is clearly referring to the settlement, not its terms. And yes, I can see him being "in favor of it" if "it" is a settlement that succeeds in legally resolving this issue from Hell.

Regards, Diane