Re: [RC] Prineville-another perspective - Chris Paus

Oh gosh, what a frightening experience! I hope you mend well and come back to rie again.chris

Mary Carroll <carroll61354@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am the one with the punctured lung and broken leg.  I saw what happened in the first part of the 25.  I didn't see the horse with the saddle under his belly, but heard that happened.  What I *did* see was a BLM stallion (5 months off the range) gallop past us on the rocky road before the single track.  I then heard yelling, and looked up to see the BLM palomino lunging at another horse.  My horse freaked-it was not a question of training at that point.  What I felt under me was pure terror.  I was able to get in one circle before he bolted THROUGH juniper tree branches.  I protected my face as best I could and saw another horse running above me on the road.  My horse put on the afterburners, and I challenge any of you to ride that out on muddy single track.  I landed in the rocks-so close to the road!  I wish I could have stayed on for a few more seconds in order to run him uphill.

The BLM rider asked me if I was ok.  I said no.  She continued her ride.  What more can I say?

The woman who had the saddle slip has more information, I am sure.  She feels awful about it all.  I do not think it was her fault.

The ride is always well controlled at the start, and in fact, many 25 milers start late, as we did.  The accident happened well beyond ridecamp-I do not believe anyone associated with ride mgmt is to blame, or the rider whose saddle slipped.  I have talked with her, but do not want to speak for her here.

I now have a cast on my leg, a hole in my breast, and bruises everywhere.  I do not believe AT ALL that the saddle slipping was the precipitating issue.

On a positive note, the Prineville crew was awesome in "search and rescue" and ongoing support.  Thanks to everyone who helped me, visited me in the hospital, and signed the card.  I am proud to be a part of the endurance family.  A special thanks to Steve and Kelly Stahl, who will always have a special place in my heart.

Mary and Woody

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus