Re: [RC] Prineville-another perspective - Chris Paus

Exactly. I've ridden my gelding alonside stallions at an endurance ride with absolutely no problem. The owners have taken their time to train and they weren't racing the ride.

I have not taken my own stallion to a ride. He's a lamb around the farm. I can handle him around mares and geldings and have ridden him past a pasture with a mare in heat at the other side of the fence. He listened to me and kept going as I asked.

But at his age of 22, I'm not sure how much retraining I want to do with him and I have no idea how he'd react in a crowd of horses on a close trail. I'm not going to risk myself, other riders and horses or my boy in that situation. My hat's off to riders who are successful with their stallions in endurance. It IS a big responsibility.

I have toyed with the idea of taking him to rides, but then I remember that I have three other riding horses, two geldings and a mare. Why do I even want to fool around with a stallion at a ride when I have three other nice horses to choose from?

so he gets to stay home and be the 'watch' horse.

chris

Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
. But with
stallions, the potential that the horse will escalate the situation, especially if he
feels HE is in control, not the rider, is high. Thus the threat to other horses and
people is considerably greater.