Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Sisu West Ranch

"... I was in discussion with the forest service min age was brought up by the head ranger who I was dealing with. He had implemented a min age requirement for all organized permited events and wanted to implement a 12 year old min age on the endurance ride..."

I don't think that the individual prejudices of Park Rangers should be used as gospel in developing the policies of the AERC.  Rangers have bunches of power.  Some use it to further their own agendas.  I have seen it many times.  Heidi got into real trouble because she fought a Ranger's policy.

One ranger I tried to work with on setting up an endurance ride claimed that he could only allow 20 rigs in a camp because he had a duty to provide a "quality camping experience"  When I countered by showing that endurance riders did not mind being crammed into a small camp, if they could ride, he changed his reason.  He then claimed that the MN Department of health required a certain number of potties per camp site.  When I offered to rent whatever number of potties the state required he again changed his tune.  It was excess wear and tear on the trails.  When I reminded him that we had donated $1000 to the park trail fund last year, he said that was an "insignificant amount", and finally admitted he did not want the ride at "his" park.

By the way UMECRA has never had a minimum age requirement for any of its rides (LD, CTR, Endurance).  I am subject to correction, but the only child UMECRA rider I remember being seriously hurt did not happen at a ride.  She was killed by a horse at home while under the supervision of her Grandmother.

Since we now live in an urban society, I suspect that the chances of a child suffering a perminant health imparement is greater if the child is allowed (by its parents) to spend most of its youth eating chips and watching TV.  Perhaps we should pass laws requiring all parents to prove that their children have a minimum of 2 hours of vigorous exercise and a maximum of 1 hour of TV each day.  It would do a lot more good for our society, and surely not seem out of line to those who think that parents are not capable of deciding when their children are ready to ride horses in an organized event.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875