Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grippeople - Truman Prevatt

And no one said - least of all me -  a ranger's policy should be used to justify or not justify any policy. When this issue raised it head several cycles back - this is one of the periodic food fights on Ridecamp - I was visiting my sister. My sister is a clinical psychologist that works with a couple DA's in Southern IN in child abuse cases. I explained the issues and asked if there could be potential issue that could arise. While not a lawyer she knows enough child protection law to be a reliable source.

Her comments were most states would not want to get involved in minimal age issues since law enforcement is concerned with enforcing laws after an incidient has happened.  However, she added, if there were a death or even a serious debilitating injury ( hospital and MD's in most states have reporting requirements to police in cases of injuries to children) a local DA has the tools at his disposal (meaning laws) to make people's life probably including a ride manager and sanctioning organizations extremely miserable since they would be dealing with criminal charges. She also told me that in the cases of child death one of the DA's she works for has the tendecy to grow a giant set of fangs and go for blood and it the case of a death there would probably be criminal charges filed. BTW insurance will not cover legal fees resulting from criminal charges.  There is precedent for criminal convictions in the death of a child when the parents were held responsible for a child's death be it a child killed when he found a loaded gun his parents had in the house and or a child was killed when a four wheeler he wasn't able to handle flipped on him.

While we don't ever want to see any such thing happen in the AERC, we could be eaisly be dealing with fire if it did. Or more precisely the BOD of the AERC could be dealing with fire since they are the officiers of the corporation. The good news comes right down to the fact that there are very few very young riders entering endurance rides out there. And my personal opinion is it's the AERC problem - not mine so I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

Where the rubber hits the road - we won't know the implications untill an incident happens. By then it would be too late. But again - no skin off my nose.

Merry Christmas
Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
"... I was in discussion with the forest service min age was brought up by the head ranger who I was dealing with. He had implemented a min age requirement for all organized permited events and wanted to implement a 12 year old min age on the endurance ride..."

I don't think that the individual prejudices of Park Rangers should be used as gospel in developing the policies of the AERC.  Rangers have bunches of power.  Some use it to further their own agendas.  I have seen it many times.  Heidi got into real trouble because she fought a Ranger's policy.

--
“Why has government been instituted at all

“Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint.” Alexander Hamilton