[RC] The Nutritional Value of Grass after frost - Steve Hallmark

As an Agronomy Minor in College I'll throw in my 2 cents worth:

From: "Karen Sullivan" <greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   The Nutritional Value of Grass after frost.

I'm interested also and have more questions:

1. My pastures are greening up (Northern Calif, short green grass, of no
specific species I can tell, seasonal dryland pasture) It gets frost on it,
survives light freezes.....does it have much nutritional value?

Yes, and in fact you might want to consider restricting access if the animal
is not worked regularly, has Cushing's, or is insulin resistant. As we're in
Northern CA as well, we restrict access to the native grasses that grow in
the winter/spring.  These grasses are high in carbohydrates.  I know there
are the exceptions that seem to have no problem with 24/7 turnout on this
type of pasture, but you need to use caution.

2.  Grass hay, when to cut. I see it cut in fields before it matures.
It is very green....but MY grass hay grower says when it is cut at that
stage it is only cellulose, no nutritional value since not mature.  He cuts
his mostly rye pasture when the grass is between green and brown, and has
mature seed heads.....comments????

The Quality of hay is a product of its palatability, digestibility and
nutritive value. Two-thirds of the protein and nine-tenths of the minerals
in hay are found in the leaves. For first cutting hay there is a high
correlation between the quantity of leaves present and the digestible dry
matter, but this correlation is less distinct for latter cuttings.

That being said, your grower has some misconceptions regarding hay
harvesting.  By allowing a grain crop hay to go to seed before harvest, you
greatly reduce palatability, digestibility and nutritive value.

Generally speaking, the first cutting of the year, if harvested before seed
heads are formed, is some of the best hay you'll get all year long.