Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - heidi

I agree with Steph that we do not have the right to force the WEC
participants to boycott the event and agree it was an unfair thing to do
 at the Olympics--- However, this is not a matter of politics of the
cold  war here-- this is a matter of child abuse-- and perhaps the team
has to  decide individually if they want to make a statement. They can
always  compete, representing themselves and do not have to represent
the USA. Just a thought

I will get flak for saying this, but no matter WHAT the atrocity, peaceful
solutions are "politics."  Passing laws is "politics."  Negotiating with
foreign governments is "politics."  Boycotting is "politics."  Going
anyway to make a statement is "politics."  Doesn't matter if you are
trying to fight child abuse, incinerating Jews in gas furnaces, or what.
Your actions (or inactions) constitute a political process.

And for what it's worth, our riders do not "have" to represent us.  No one
has held a gun to their head to nominate and prepare.  They ARE making
their own choices by going.  And if any of them choose to drop out (which
they can at any time, for any reason), that is why we have alternates.
This IS their choice, all the way.  At least they HAVE a choice, unlike
the athletes in the boycotted Olympics.  (Great posts, BTW, Steph and
Joe.)  Choice is supposed to be a hallmark of our "better" system--and
that freedom was summarily denied our Olympic athletes in the boycott
year.

Heidi