Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - heidi

Absolutely right John. It has nothing to do with culture it has all to
do with international law, UN conventions to which all members accept
and to common decency.

Truman, if you think this doesn't have anything to do about culture, you
need to go back and review what happened particularly in your part of the
country when booze was outlawed.  You cannot legislate morality--that has
been demonstrated time and time again throughout history.  If you want to
stop atrocities, you can either try diplomacy and demonstration of a
better way, or you can go to war.  Simply telling someone powerful that
you have just made their sordid hobby illegal doesn't get the job done.

I agree that this is in violation of common decency--which sometimes I
think is an oxymoron anyway, as true decency often isn't all that common.
Where we seem to part company is how we in our sport can have the most
impact.

BTW, raping little girls is against the law in this country as well--but
well over half of the little girls in the after-school program in this
county have been sexually abused by male relatives or their moms'
boyfriends.   I also think that is an atrocity.  Who should I boycott to
stop it?  We do all we can to intervene, and every once in a great while
we get enough evidence to prosecute a perp, but that hasn't put a stop to
the horror.  Before someone misquotes me by suggesting that I think this
makes the UAE situation "ok"--I most certainly am not suggesting any such
thing.  I'm merely pointing out that "being against the law" does not put
an end to such practices--there, here, or anywhere else.

Heidi